Mercruiser Gimbal Housing Zirk???

JTSing1

Cadet
Hello, Just got my first boat a couple of months ago, and I always amazed how good you guys are at this. Just want to be extra cautious and make sure nothing small turns into a much bigger issue so I figured I'd ask. After loading the boat onto the trailer after being on the lake, I was removing the plug and noticed on the gimbal housing this screw or zirk with grease around it. I have never noticed it before and was just wondering if it is normal? I would think there should be some type of cover on it or something. Looked everywhere and found nothing. I attached an image below. Thoughts???

Attachments

• IMG_1427 (2).jpg
    IMG_1427 (2).jpg
    133.1 KB · Views: 0

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
Re: Mercruiser Gimbal Housing Zirk???

Thats where you grease the gimbal bearing. when you remove the drive every year to service it.

JTSing1

Cadet

thanks for the quick reply! Should it just be exposed like that, or is there a cover that screws over it or something?

Fun Times

Staff member

It would normally have a black plastic cover that snaps over the zerk fitting mainly used as a cosmic to hide the zerk fitting. In the photo, You can still see the old black ring that holds the cover is still in place. You would need to remove the old ring to install a new cover.

If you would like a new cover, the Merc part number is 19-77633Q --LUBRICAP

JTSing1

Cadet

...got it, that's perfect! Thanks guys for helping me out

ktbarrentine

Lieutenant

Thats where you grease the gimbal bearing. when you remove the drive every year to service it.
Note: This can be lubed without taking the drive off (often done while running on muffs), but annual when the drive is off is a good time to do it as well.