1973 Mercury 850 thunderbolt fuel problem

Monkeyslap79

Cadet
I got a 1973 mercury 850 thunderbolt, I bought it with a fuel leak, it always worked, I found the fuel leak was at, ( on part pic ) Fuel pump assembly, there was a hole on the gasket for the fuel pump assembly and the gasket behind that that goes to the looks like pistons, I replaced them, now then I pump the gas ball it gets full and tightens up, but the boat won't start up, put old holy gasket in it starts but has gas leak. I thought it would be fuel lines was the problem, so I check each hose to the Carb, all are good, so without the bad gasket it's not getting the gas to start, any ideas?

Monkeyslap79

Cadet
Re: 1973 Mercury 850 thunderbolt fuel problem

More info, there's a small hose that goes right under the Flywheel, with the holy gasket gas goes threw hose under flywheel, with new gasket, no gas goes out that hose.

kazek

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 1973 Mercury 850 thunderbolt fuel problem

That small hose is to lubricate to top parts of motor.residue oil collects at the bottom(gravity) and then it sucked up to Lube top bearings.as to fuel pump.check fuel lines for clogs.fuel pump delivers fuel to carbs on crank or start up.if ur priming bulb gets hard,I wonder if fuel is reaching carbs.proper procedure for starting:throttle/shift lever in Neutral,pump primer bulb till solid,warm up lever all the way up.activate choke together with ignition key.dont forget water!