6 hp OMC Slop

WillemWallace

Seaman Apprentice
I just mounted a new to me 6hp Johnson on the back of a 12 foot aluminum boat. I have a question regarding free play on the shaft the motor tilts up and down on. Obviously it is meant to be loose enough so the motor tilts up or down, with no resistance. I noticed when I got the motor mounted onto the transom of my boat, that when I tipped it up, it also has some excess right to left play. It almost feels like there is a bushing or something, that has worn out, allowing excess free play side to side. The shaft is steel, and it is snugged up with a stainless steel locking nut. The nut is free, and I snugged it up a bit, to see if this took up the slack, but I am not sure how much torque I should put on it , for fear of snapping the end off the shaft, or stripping the threads on the steel shaft. Any help or advice, is appreciated. The motor is a 1985 6hp Johnson Sailmaster.

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral
Re: 6 hp OMC Slop

The port side bracket has a bushing in it that centers the clamp bracket on the saddle bracket. It is kind of a graphite/plastic thing that can wear over time, particularly on a long shaft model like yours where there's extra strain on it. Of course, it might also have been removed or lost at some point by an owner prior to you.