1976 Evinrude 35hp Lower Unit and Water Pump gaskets

ericstromberg

Recruit
I recently got this motor and I am having a hell of a time finding replacement gaskets for the water pump and lower unit/exhaust housing. Can I seal things up with black permatex? I know it isn't ideal, but for some reason no one seems to stock the gaskets as the parts diagrams at iboats and marine engine don't even show any gaskets.

Thanks in advance!

Eric

Scurvy Knave

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 1976 Evinrude 35hp Lower Unit and Water Pump gaskets

you will have to supply a model number if you want anyone to help.

ericstromberg

Recruit

I am thinking I could get a sheet of gasket material and try to cut one to fit. Anyone have any idea what thickness it is? The old one was pretty gummed up with black permatex and didn't come off nicely. It seems strange that there are parts available for older versions and newer versions, but 1976 is like a black hole.

Scurvy Knave

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I-boats doesn't appear to carry them :confused:

you can get them at marineengine.com

for the powerhead, see the following link:

Evinrude Exhaust Housing Parts for 1976 35hp 35602S Outboard Motor

for the pump / lower unit see:

Evinrude Gearcase Parts for 1976 35hp 35602S Outboard Motor

NOTE: there has been a revision to the waterpump assembly for this model. Please make sure that you don't order mismatched parts. The impeller size and shape has changed, I'm not sure about the housing.

ericstromberg

Recruit

It looks like my motor has a lower unit off of a 602G, as it has a 4 bolt impeller housing. I am ordering the water pump kit. The kit matches what I have and it's in decent shape, but you don't seem to be able to order just gaskets, but only the whole kit. This seems strange since wouldn't you need to replace the gasket when you change the impeller? I think what I will do it make a pattern and note the material and thickness when I get the kit and make my future gaskets and just buy the impeller. Nice spending $15 instead of $65, since I read to change the impeller every year.

Am I correct in assuming there is not a gasket between the lower unit and the exhaust housing?

I appreciate all your help guys.

Scurvy Knave

Petty Officer 2nd Class

No, there is generally no gasket between a L/U and the exhaust housing. There is no need to seal that joint since it is open to the outside.

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

OEM kit 388256 has the gaskets with it. I don't think they're available individually. Buy it once and use them as templates if you wish. Unless you're running in truly harsh conditions with lots of salt, silt, mud, etc., you probably don't need to replace your impeller more than once every three years or so.

There is no gasket or sealant used between the exhaust housing and the lower unit housing.