Plug wires for a Sportwin

Windjamer

Cadet
Does anyone know which plug wires I need for my '72 Evinrude 9.5hp Sportwin? They don't seem to be sold specific to engines, but in 4", 6" and 9" lengths. Or, I can't find the right reference.

Thanks for any help.

nwcove

Admiral
Re: Plug wires for a Sportwin

you can go to any brp/omc dealer and buy it by the foot. i usually get 5 feet, but there is a bit of waste. maybe someone will chime in with an exact number on the length needed.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

5' will do it with a bit of waste. 4' is too tight, especially on the Big Twins.

Usually about 30" for the bottom cylinder and about 24" for the Upper, give or take a couple inches ;)

Windjamer

Cadet

5' will do it with a bit of waste. 4' is too tight, especially on the Big Twins.

Usually about 30" for the bottom cylinder and about 24" for the Upper, give or take a couple inches ;)

Thanks, HighTrim, but even 12" wouldn't fit. You're thinking about the wrong engine.

Thanks for the attached links.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

Huh? lol

Im not sure where you are reading anything about 12"? 5' (60") will be enough to do your motor.

I think you are looking at pre made auto plug wires that are graphite? That is not what you need. You need metallic core, usually copper, wire by the foot.

seahorse5

Rear Admiral

The plug wire length I believe is listed in the parts book as they are cut from a roll of metal-core Packard 440 wire that your dealer should stock.

Windjamer

Cadet

The plug wire length I believe is listed in the parts book as they are cut from a roll of metal-core Packard 440 wire that your dealer should stock.

Sounds like the dealer is the best bet. Thanks to all for your advice!