Flywheel confusion, 40hp Merc

JerD

Recruit
I'm having the worst time with my 1982 40hp Mercury 2 cylinder electric start. It was determined my stator was bad and I was given the part number by a marina that wouldn't have time to get the part themselves before our trip ended.

My stator arrived at home and I went to replace it.
Both magnets on the flywheel are damaged. The damage isn't horrible, but I don't want to put the same flywheel on and trash the magnets and new strator three hours into the next outing.

I can't figure which flywheel I need to get. Using the motor serial number and talking to different places, I get different answers.

One flywheel has two magnets opposite each other, just like the one I pulled off the motor.

Most references are for a flywheel with magnets all around the inside the flywheel.

If the one with two magnets works, might the other one also work, better or worse?

The reason for not just replacing like with like automatically is that it seems the guy I bought the boat from seems like he might have replaced some other things on the boat in a "close enough" manner.
Also, the motor doesn't want to idle at low rpms after carb adjustmants, cleaning, etc, etc

Laddies

Banned
Re: Flywheel confusion, 40hp Merc

You must replace a 2 magnet flywheel with another 2 magnet flywheel the stators are different, if you magnets are only chipped, it is possible to reglue then with epoxy glue the flywheel and back of the magnets must be clean and the magnets must not be turned around or the stator won't work properly.

JerD

Recruit

When I google in the part number stamped on the flywheel (32 43 30995), the results I get are not of a two magnet flywheel.
Any diagram for my motor and parts list (using my motor's serial number) shows a flywheel that looks different than the one I have.

Will the wrong flywheel do any actual damage, other than not work?

carholme

Rear Admiral

What is the s/n of your engine as there are two serial groups for flywheel ID and it depends on whether yours is electric or manual start, 78/77 teeth etc.

Gerry

JerD

Recruit

The motor s/n is 6142208. if I read correctly, this should be a 1982 40hp EL, which, it appears to be.
I can't seem to find an image or description of a flywheel w/two magnets for this motor.

carholme

Rear Admiral

That s/n comes up as:

MERCURY - ( 40 H.P. (1982 ))
Serial No: 06142208 Model No: 1040522

Parts List for model 1040522:

MERC 40 - Mercury, Mercruiser, Force, etc. Parts Lookup

In the parts list, you go to Serial Group and you see that your s/n is Serial Group 2. Therefore, under FLYWHEEL, IGNITION COIL AND SWITCH BOX (SERIAL GROUP #2), item 3 is the flywheel.

7912A14 is for manual start and 7912A8/12 are for electric start.

Gerry

JerD

Recruit

Getting frustrated. Looking at the different groups in the diagrams, not one has a flywheel that matches up with the one I pulled off the motor.

The one just delivered, matches all the diagrams and images for the flywheel that "should be" on the motor, but is different from the one I pulled off.

I just ordered one listed for a 1985 35hp that appears to be the same as the one I pulled off.

Will the "correct" spec fly wheel do damage or just not work?