Oil Leak?

1979 Quartermasters

Chief Petty Officer
Good morning people:

I have been chasing this oil leak for some time. I pulled the engine this winter and changed the oil pan gasket, speedi-sleeve and seal in the timing cover and valve cover gaskets. The timing cover looks minty. When I had the engine out I checked the rear main seal, and there was no evidence it had been leaking.

I did a head gasket last summer, but it was leaking before that.

The leak doesn't seem to be getting any worse.

I notice the oil dripping off the timing cover, the side of the block is oily and when I took the starter in to be repaired the tec said it was full of oil. Yesterday I noticed a small puddle of oil on the intake right at the back of the engine. So now I'm thinking maybe the distributor seal is leaking.

I have a new gasket coming and I'm wondering if I should use Permatex with that gasket, the stuff I used with the intake.

Any other ideas where this oil is coming from?.....

Ken

dubs283

Vice Admiral
Re: Oil Leak?

So now I'm thinking maybe the distributor seal is leaking.

I have a new gasket coming and I'm wondering if I should use Permatex with that gasket, the stuff I used with the intake.

Any other ideas where this oil is coming from?

possible the dist gasket is leaking, no need for sealant there - put the gasket on dry

when you installed the intake did you use the valley gaskets or just rtv?? and if just rtv did you put some on the corners where the heads meet the intake manifold??

one trick i do is to use spray cleaner/de greaser on the whole engine, let soak for 10 mins, risne with a hose and use compressed air to totally clean the engine, let it dry overnight then run the motor and check for leaks

there are also dyes you can add to the oil to check for leaks

1979 Quartermasters

Chief Petty Officer

when you installed the intake did you use the valley gaskets or just rtv?? and if just rtv did you put some on the corners where the heads meet the intake manifold??

Thanks for the response;

Just RTV, and yes.

I was careful about that because I heard that can be a problem.

When I did the head gasket, I remember putting that gasket in. I need a new cap and rotor, so for $2.00 more I'll pull the dizzy and change the gasket. I don't know what that leaves?

?.....

Ken

1979 Quartermasters

Chief Petty Officer

Yes there is, but it seems dry. Also I'm not sure how the oil would get from there to the top of the intake.

I guess anything is possible......

Ken

04fxdwgi

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Possible excessive blowby / breather smoke not making it back into the flame arrestor and dripping down on the intake. Is your flame arrestor nice and clean or gunked up / dirty? Are the breather grommets on the valve covers tight or loose? Oil in the starter is usually a sign of a valve cover gasket leaking or a massive rear main seal leaking, which you said was not the rear main.

1979 Quartermasters

Chief Petty Officer

I doubt it's blow because the engine is fairly new, maybe 100hrs and tested 170 to 175 all the way around in a compression test.
The arrester is clean.

It losses about a quarter of a liter wakeboarding in a weekend. Maybe 6 hours of runtime.
Most of it is in the bilage....

Ken

1979 Quartermasters

Chief Petty Officer

Well the oil loss has become excessive. Yesterday I lost 3/4 of a liter/quart in about a couple of hours of runtime. I'm thinking it has to be the timing cover. I'm going to pull the engine this week and change the cover and gasket.

Do I need the marine version of the cover or is the Napa automotive version good. Also the pan gasket is new this past winter. Can I re-use it.

Also I speedy-sleeved the balancer and new seal, do I need to replace the seal in the new cover?

Any info or input is appreciated.....

Thanks

Ken

1979 Quartermasters

Chief Petty Officer

Was hoping to get a response so I could pick up what I need tomorrow.

Thanks......

Ken

SWD

Petty Officer 1st Class

Not sure about the cover marine/napa......but would suggest a new cover seal and a new shaft seal. JMHO.

1979 Quartermasters

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks for your response SWD.

The Merc cover is $169.00 and the Napa automotive one is $34.00. I'm wondering if someone could chime in on this?

Thanks....

Ken