A couple pin hole leaks at gasket between manifold and riser - attention now or ?....

Whidbey

Seaman
I just recently re-did my set up. AQ570A
When all was apart I cleaned up the surfaces between the manifolds and gaskets with 3m medium discs. After about 30 or so mile runs out to hali fish, I've notices pins hole size leaks (salt water) and rusty line at the same locations. I'm super careful to flush the whole system in a horse trough and then hand wash and WD places where salt water might have contacted the motor. No symptoms of hydroloc or evidence that the leak is to the inside.

Question - should I worry with it now or later :)

Bondo

Staff member
Re: A couple pin hole leaks at gasket between manifold and riser - attention now or ?

I just recently re-did my set up. AQ570A
When all was apart I cleaned up the surfaces between the manifolds and gaskets with 3m medium discs. After about 30 or so mile runs out to hali fish, I've notices pins hole size leaks (salt water) and rusty line at the same locations. I'm super careful to flush the whole system in a horse trough and then hand wash and WD places where salt water might have contacted the motor. No symptoms of hydroloc or evidence that the leak is to the inside.

Question - should I worry with it now or later :)

Ayuh,... If it's leakin' to the outside, I gotta believe it's leakin' to the Inside,...

Do ya wanta buy just manifolds, 'n risers, or a Whole New Motor,..??

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: A couple pin hole leaks at gasket between manifold and riser - attention now or ?

You probably made the surfaces wavy with those discs, very easy to do if not careful. Pull the riser and use a big flat file and flatten the surfaces and new gaskets.
It's not the little pin hole leaks leaking outside, it's the ones leaking inside you have to worry about.

Whidbey

Seaman

Thanks!! I'm on it.