Wasting Away!

mariahcrazy

Cadet
I just got my 1990 Mariah back after setting out for several years in the weather. I have gotten the motor to run and I THINK that it is ok. EVERYTHING wood is gone. Looking for some answers to decide if I can fix this, take it somewhere, or sink it! I love the boat but might be better with a new one. <br /><br />1. Being an I/O and the transom gone, do I need to replace it in order for it to be safe? I have been told it does not do much more than keep out the water. Anyone have much luck with the products that you pour in and let dry?<br /><br />2. The foam is waterlogged. Cut it out? will it dry? I have had a fan on it for days now! Will I need to replace it?<br /><br />3. Is there any wood in the motor mounts? I am sure this is gone too.<br /><br />4. Stringers are gone. Do I need these for support other than floors? When I replace them, do they need to be glassed and watertight?<br /><br />THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THE HELP!

D

DJ

Re: Wasting Away!

mariah,<br /><br />What do you want to tackle? It can ALL be rebuilt. <br /><br />If it has an OMC drive, I would part it out. There is some decent money in old OMC sterndrive parts (ebay) If it's a Mercruiser, go for it, if you want to.<br /><br />The foam needs to be removed and replaced with new.

mariahcrazy

Cadet

Thank you for your reply<br /><br />My plan is to first dry out the water in the foam. I checked on it today, and the fan, and dryer weather seems to be doing some good. The next step is to get it in the water to see how it runs. It has a Alpha 1 outdrive. I hear that is a good thing. I have replaced enough of the stringers to get a supportable floor for walking on. Guess the next step would be to see if rotton transom will be ok without replacing the wood along with the motor mounts. There are so many conflicting openions about replacing the transom and motor mounts. Some people say "see what happens" but I do not want to do more damage by trying my luck! It is late enough in the summer to just take it one day at a time. Not pushing to get it all running this year. Would be nice to get it good enough to run it for a trip or two to the lake.

JasonJ

Rear Admiral

On an I/O, the transom does do a little work. It is supporting the outdrive, it is keeping the gimbal bearing in alignment, thus keeping the driveshaft that runs through it in alignment. It is part of the structure of the boat, which consists of hull shell, stringers, floor, and transom. This structure must be sound in order to withstand the forces the boat sees. The boat sees a lot of slamming, a lot of twisting which requires tortional strength, and the structure is absorbing the force of the engine itself. Optimaly you should replace all of it if you want a sound boat you can trust, but this sort of project, while doable, should only be done to a boat you really like and plan to keep for a good amount of time. Doing it for potential profit will lead to disappointment.<br /><br />BTW, it is very difficult to dry the foam out. You are much better off removing it and putting in fresh 2 part foam. The current stuff is more resistant to water absorbtion. You won't be able to do a proper job of glassing in new structure without removing it anyway. Good luck...

mariahcrazy

Cadet

Thank you for your input! So if i understand right, It should not be a problem to put it in the water, but I need to keep in mind not to make too many sharp turns until I get EVERYTHING fixed? I do plan to keep it for a while, if I can get it back up to speed without spending more on it than what I can buy a good used boat for. The Mariah is just such a nice boat! Have you ever messed with resins pour-ins for transom replacements and floor stringers? I also hear that you can use that for motor mounts. It sounds like that is much easier than replacing the wood, stronger, and it will not rot.

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

mariah - Do not underestimate the work, time and $$ that are involved in a project like this. It can be very rewarding but you can get frustrated because everything takes longer, costs more and is harder to do than you might think. I get the impression from your posts that you are looking for a quick fix that will last for a long time and look great. Probably not going to happen. For example no matter how long you have it on the foam will not dry with a fan if it is soaked. It may look dry but it is not.

dsinger

Chief Petty Officer

I promise the foam is not dry and I bet you can push a hole in it with your finger. This meaning the foam not only is water soaked, but the pores are chemicaly broke down. It has to be replaced or all it is, is dead weight. A little advice on the High Density/Pour Foam/Floatation Foam when mixing the parts must be equal. Even the amount left in cup A when poured into cup B will cause the wrong chemical reaction. The result being open pores or half and half. What type of pour in resin are you refering to for the transom and stringers. If that is ROT DOCTOR, it's not effective when the wood within the glass is putrid. If you are interested in rebuilding I can tell a place to purchase the foam for 27.00 a gallon because as you will see it is way over priced.

Realgun

Commander

dsinger I looked for foam on iboats and cannot find any where can you get foam for 27.00?

dsinger

Chief Petty Officer

Broken Arrow Fiberglass in Broken Arrow Oklahoma you can find them in the phonebook online. I don't know if they will ship it or not or how much it will cost to do so.

mariahcrazy

Cadet

I am not really looking for a quick fix, but I do want to know if the motor and outdrive is going to even work. I know that if it is shot, I should scrap the whole thing. Think I should get insurance on it before putting it in? :) I did run it for about 30 minutes the other night, and it all seemed to be working ok. I think that if I had it to do all over again, I would scrap it and go with a new WOOD FREE boat! I know when the whole thing is over it will be worth it, but I want to go play today!

Seaboo2

Petty Officer 2nd Class

You can (kinda) see if the outdrive/engine are working with "dry runs" on land.<br /><br />"I have replaced enough of the stringers to get a supportable floor for walking on."<br /><br /> Walking surface is not even half of a stringers job... They ARE alot of the boats structual suport.<br /><br /> If you decide to "lake test" it before doing any work make sure the bellows are good and have a good bilge pump :D .<br /><br /> To do it (rebuild it) right it is a HUGE labor of money and time.... To do it half-a$$ed is only a waste of both. If you like the boat, have the time, money, ability, understanding wife, fix it up.<br /><br /> My personal oppion is if you are asking on this board if it is safe to take it out for a lake test, it probably isn't... Rotten stringers, saturated foam, rotted transom, collapsed motor mounts (?).......<br /><br /> Boats are cheep and temporary, drowning is expensive and perment, why chance it just to see if a transom holds, either fix it right, scrap it, or leave it parked, don't endanger yours or anyone else's saftey because you were trying to take a short cut on a rebuild.<br /><br /> (sorry for the last paragraph but I am a rescue personal and rescue diver for a local squad and don't want to pick you up). :eek:

mariahcrazy

Cadet

Thanks Seaboo2. I know the concern. I am a diver myself (Dive Master), and have gone on a rescue myself. I have put it on a dry run, and think it is good to go. I plan to have another boat out with me, and myself being the only person onboard when we go. I would like the peace of mind not to put all that time and money into a mechanicaly unsound boat.

Realgun

Commander

With all the things wrong with the boat are you sure you want to test it? Sure the motor will run but will the boat get a crack in the fiberglass from a wave? Are the stringers really that gone or are they growing fungus and look bad but are ok under the fiberglass?<br /><br />My boat has a rotted floor and the first time I took it out I put a hole through the front area. I was very careful. I looked at the stringers transom and rear area and they looked ok.<br /><br />I did take the boat to what I call a putt putt lake. In other words a no wake lake.<br />I had my PFD on and did not go to far.<br /><br />I am sure the ranger though I was crazy as I was jumping up and down on the floor, front, sides, ETC.<br />not a sqeak or groan any where. I did rev the engine up and made a wake for 5 seconds to see if the transome flexed or BROKE too. Of course all that did was cause me to fall forward when I put the motor in idle and break the tilt switch handle off. Transome was fine. I then loaded the boat up on the traler. Since the motor drags when in the down position I shaved a few inches of skeg off. :) Finally got a key and was able to put the motor up. <br /><br />Noted that the front area where my foot went trough was the only really rotted area. Also there is a slow leak in the front area too. Was out for an hour and got a quart of water in the bildge.<br /><br />Well anyway a new boat is cool but I wanted a project.<br /><br />
20048212597145727445170.jpg
<br />Since only the floor was rotted I still had to remove the seating area. Too bad as the wood was fine. :( <br />I did discover that the rear floor was rotted but not near as bad as the front.<br />Cheers

mariahcrazy

Cadet

Hello all! Just wanted to give an update on the boat. I have put in a semi-new floor. Today I took it buy a professional boat repair place and he had really good news! He looked at the transom and said it was in good shape and had minnimal problems. He also felt like the "stringers" were there for floor support, and were really not needed for the boat rigidity. Has anyone ever hear of boats being built on the fiberglass alone for support? From what he has told me, I should put it in and "run the hell out of it". Please let me know if you have ever had any experience with it. Thakns again