motor tilts down, but not up

blackcreekpapa1

Recruit
40 HP suzuki four stroke, tilt/trim up has been intermittent, now doesnt work at all, down works fine. no manual, where are the tilt relays located and what do they look like. model year 2000

Charlie in TX

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: motor tilts down, but not up

There will be a relay. Follow the wires back from the t&t motor, they should land on the relay.

lakensea

Chief Petty Officer

If the relay clicks when you try to go up, then it's the down relay.

pine island fred

Lieutenant Junior Grade

This is just a test. I just submitted an extensive reply only to be denied and I had to sign in again. I then was not able to retrieve my suggestion. One of the reasons I quit using this site a few years ago. FRED

pine island fred

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Am signed in, will attempt to respond. Your relay is bad. Can be rebuilt considering the cost of a new one. On dis assembly, oil and push out the studs. There are small O rings on each stud. Once you have it apart you will see the problem. The contact points are nothing more than pressed in tits and dimples in thin copper strips. LIONEL trains do better! The small contact points are burned and pitted. Clean the contact points and reassemble.
One OB mechanic I know substitutes MERCURY or OMC relays for the YAMAHA relay. They all work the same. regards FRED

manitoba1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Does the trim button on the side of the engine work or just not off the throttle lever? My DF70 has intermittent loss of up trim off the throttle but the trim button on the side of the outboard trims up no problem.