Brand new Evinrude Etec 150 first try wont go past 10 miles per hour Help?

Mirro-rude

Recruit
Hi all, and thanks for reading my post. I'm new to boating, I bought a 2013 Mirrocraft 1768 with a 2013 Evinrude Etec 150 hp. I was excited to put it in the water Saturday, pulled out of the dock nice and slow... as soon as I was in a safe area to give it some gas and get up and go a little, all that happened was around 10 miles per hour and that was it?? I called the dealer from the water and he talked about it may be in safe mode? I had a warning light for no oil ( I picked it up from dealer with oil in the tank and apparently primed. I also made sure to fill the oil. Just in case, I followed the winterizing instructions and fogged the motor twice, it ran great but full throttle still only gave max 10 miles per hour or less and 2200 RPM. Any ideas?

JSMoore

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Brand new Evinrude Etec 150 first try wont go past 10 miles per hour Help?

Here's a quote from another boating forum about the E-TEC.

"When an E-TEC goes into SAFE mode, you do not have to go to the dealer to get out of it. The motor will resume normal operation if the problem is resolved and the motor is turned off and back on to reset. A warning light should come on if the motor is in SAFE to indicate the type of malfunction.

If a throttle is advanced when starting, or if linkage sticks or out of adjustment, the EMM sees the throttle position sensor with a wrong reading for start, so it will limit the rpm of the engine. This sounds more like your problem."

Perhaps that will help you!
Cheers,
JSMoore

Mirro-rude

Recruit

Hey thanks JSMoore, I'll try that and see how it works out.

I did bring it to the dealer and they will do diagnostics on it. I suppose they should be able to find out if there is something not quite right.

thanks again,
Mirro-rude

Mirro-rude

Recruit

So, I took the boat to the dealer who found a code for the TPS, throttle positioning sensor. the problem was that the throttle adjustment was not set right. they adjusted it and with the garden hose attached, they had the RPM's up past 3000 in short bursts. Seems ready for the water!

Thanks again for your help you were right on!

seahorse5

Rear Admiral

It sounds like the dealer boat rigger was a bit careless. First you had the NO OIL light which kept the motor to 1200 rpm due to not bleeding the system completely, then the throttle cable adjustment issue. Go over your boat and motor with a fine tooth comb to see if anything else is not the way it should be.

Pay particular attention to the battery cables. If there are wing-nuts on the battery, raise holy-hell with the owner, service manager, and the installer. Both the owners manual and the rigging manual state NOT to use wing-nuts but lockwasher and hex nuts for a secure connection.

82rude

Rear Admiral

yeh ,sounds like shoddy install for sure.hope everything is resolved to your satisfaction and enjoy your motor .curious as to what oil setting you went with,xd-50 or xd-100?my dealer set mine at xd-50 and filled her up with xd-100 saying id have extra protection.i did call evinrude and ask and was told that the way I had it was absolutely the best protection possible .for all the oil ive used so far its no big deal to use the pricey full synth stuff even on xd-50 it doesn't use that much ,I can only imagine what a oil sipper it must be on xd-100.

Crosbyman

Rear Admiral

"no oil" is a code 38 alarm which puts the engine in "safe mode". The oil pressure sensor is missing some oil pressure pulses and declares a code 38 fault. This is a known problem if you search the web. I understand that this can be solved with a new oil pump.. or something but my initial dealer never solved it and I am now out of warranty.

My 2005 75hp ETEC #05107924 since NEW!! has been going safe mode like this. It is a known problem which I have now learned to live with by doing a winterize and a 10 minute morning warm up after which I am set to go. Cool morning temps seem to accentuate the problem but after warm up it is OK . Last week on my first summer run...no alarms but I know they will come again.

My alarm log shows a first code 38 at hour "03"on the EMM ... to me .."hour 03" was my first 5 minutes in the water with my spanking new ETEC

Aside from these morning headaches and seeing my buddies hit the lake ahead of me...the engine has been great.

82rude

Rear Admiral

I feel for ya.as you stated the comp has all the fault info,evinrude wont do anything for you atall?warranty or no you had that issue from day one.

the machinist

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Yes, but the dealer is your avenue to the factory & if you get a bull headed one that does not care, well I have been there also on a 2005 75hp e-Tec. Bought it used at 250 hours & 3 1/2 years. It had a #3 fuel injector that failed 15 times before I got it. The dealer I went to was not the original one & I was new to him. He was busy, just replaced a injector at full price & then 3 days later that cylinder sucked a piston. The factory rep also knew about it, but no help. After a compete rebuild and a overcharge of $450 plus no used parts back or a itemized repair slip.

I will not badmouth him by name, but will not go back. Found another dealer that found other problems the first one created, even the thermostat in backwards.

The motor is running fine now & would buy another.

82rude

Rear Admiral

o yeah a bad or uncaring dealer in this day and age of highteck motors is a hard one to swallow as more and more the ability for me joe average to work on my motor is extremely limited.sure do love my 60 though and like anybody else I hope she keeps chugging along till I die.

Crosbyman

Rear Admiral

82 rude... another dealer has offered a hand which I will invoke after my annual fishing trip next week.

My trouble log is evidence enough I think. Time for a BRP goodwill gesture for a good customer and ex-Mercury lover !! (9.8, a 50 and a classic fifty) but i sytill have my 3.9 kicker :-(

we shall see. If BRP comes across I will let everyone know about it.

82rude

Rear Admiral

good luck .

seahorse5

Rear Admiral

I doubt the Evinrude will do anything for an 8 year old motor which is at least 5 years out of factory warranty, but you may be able to get them to give you a special price on the pump and you pay the labor.

The new style pump for your 3 cylinder has been available for quite a few years now and it sounds like your dealer did not ever step up to the plate and contact the factory on your behalf. I would put some of the blame on you too if you did not call Evinrude customer service back then and complain about the code 38's. If your dealer never contacted the factory about your oil alarms then the factory would have no way to know that you were having a problem, unless you called.

Crosbyman

Rear Admiral

true..all true :-( but my selling dealer 70 miles away (140 iles round trip) visited 3-4 times was not to hot either.

Redwing4900

Petty Officer 3rd Class

true..all true :-( but my selling dealer 70 miles away (140 iles round trip) visited 3-4 times was not to hot either.

So what do you do when the fault happens? Do you have to reset it before you can get going? Or is it like a car and you have a check engine light? I am looking into buying a 60 etec from 2006...should I be worried?
Or do you have the cable for the diagnostic to a laptop, I see them for sale on e-bay, but didn't know if anyone used them other than dealers.

Last edited:

Crosbyman

Rear Admiral

I just turn it off.. do a winterize and let it warm up and go my only othe bug was acracked oil tank after running heavy waters .. it was replaced under FPC warranty ...now expired !

no laptop...code 38 was confirmed by the dealer and lots of etec users

Redwing4900

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I just turn it off.. do a winterize and let it warm up and go my only othe bug was acracked oil tank after running heavy waters .. it was replaced under FPC warranty ...now expired !

no laptop...code 38 was confirmed by the dealer and lots of etec users

I thought I heard of everything, but forgive me what are heavy waters? Also by do a winterize you mean disconnect the battery, then crank? Thanks for the info, I bought a 50 hp e-Tec 2004 model. Trying to soak up some info before I launch on Tuesday.