Vintage Sea King 5 Worth

apache11

Cadet
Boat pics 004.jpgBoat pics 001.jpgBoat pics 002.jpgBoat pics 003.jpg I am looking for a direction to find out what my boat is worth. 12' long Sea King boat/trailer package, Gale motor, fiberglass, wood, all original. (Montgomery Wards) It is a 1957.

Last edited:

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Vintage Sea King 5 Worth

I am looking for a direction to find out what my boat is worth. 12' long Sea King boat/trailer package, Gale motor, fiberglass, wood, all original. (Montgomery Wards) Next question is the pics I have are too big it is saying. How do I get pics that are smaller? BTW it is a 1957.

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,... Try this "How to",...

apache11

Cadet

I have the pics up now...does anybody know what it is worth?
Thank you!

greenbush future

Lieutenant Commander

Not a huge market but maybe you will find that one buyer wanting a clean original boat like yours. If it runs well maybe $2500-$3000, but I'm really guessing.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

"Whatever he is willing to pay" is the true answer. But after spending many years going to antique boat shows, I think I can provide some insight. The caveat is fresh water and the northeast, since that's where I am. Your mileage elsewhere may be different.

First of all, beautiful rig. If you restored it you did a fantastic job.

If the boat is original, including paint and all parts, I would place it at $4000-$5000. If it were a Chris Craft or a Lyman or Thompson it would be worth double that. Truth is that Monky Wards have little following, so the price reflects that.

If it is a restoration, but has all of the original parts (in other words, you didn't refabricate the seats or something), then $2000-$3000 is probably a fair price.

If there are no "collectors" in your neighborhood, and the potential buyer just wants it to use for fishing, you might only get $1500.

Truth is that the classic boat market has dropped off in recent years. Just not much demand. My friend has a mint condition 1952 12' PenYan that he's owned since new. Even with heavy advertising with pics, he hasn't even received one call on it.

Take it to a couple of shows and rack up a couple of 1st place trophys. That will make it command a bigger price.