I am new and am having an odd electrical issue!

Ericthiele

Recruit
So I'm cruising along and I reach to put my cell phone in the cup holder and I accidentally pull the emergency shut off lanyard. I realize I pulled it and I put the clip back in place, and proceed to start the motor. I realize the motor is cranking over REAL ROUGH. Almost grinding sound.

After trying to turn it over 3 times all power is gone to the front instrument cluster.

The only thing that works is the trim. NOTHING ELSE. It won't even turn over.

I'm thinking it may have been a coincidence that the starter and or solenoid went out at the same time.

Please help!

Bondo

Staff member
Re: I am new and am having an odd electrical issue!

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,....

My guess is with the sudden shut down, the backwash swamped the motor, 'n it's hydro-locked, stallin' the starter, 'n fryin' the electrical system....

Pull the spark plugs, 'n see if ya can find a circuit breaker or whatevers wrong with the starter, 'n get her Runnin', before it rusts up...

Ericthiele

Recruit

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,....

My guess is with the sudden shut down, the backwash swamped the motor, 'n it's hydro-locked, stallin' the starter, 'n fryin' the electrical system....

Pull the spark plugs, 'n see if ya can find a circuit breaker or whatevers wrong with the starter, 'n get her Runnin', before it rusts up...

Well, I ran a jumper cable from the positive terminal on the battery up to the dash fuse box to see if I could get power to the ignition/guages/radio etc. I got power just fine.

Is it possible that the 50A circuit is fried? Why else would the power be dead to everything except for the tilt/trim??

After running the cable I tried turning the motor over with the jumper cable on the battery, it turned over, but it sounded terrible still. It turned, but was really rough.

I am trying to decide if I want to take this one on myself or go and have it looked at.

Silverbullet555

Chief Petty Officer

I would still pull the plugs and see if you get water out or if it turns over easier. Letting it sit until tomorrow allows water (if in there) to do damage.

Ericthiele

Recruit

I would still pull the plugs and see if you get water out or if it turns over easier. Letting it sit until tomorrow allows water (if in there) to do damage.

So now I feel like an idiot...I pulled the plugs and sure enough water came leaking out. Now what do I do?!

There has to be a fuse of something thats still blown. Do you think it could be the 50Amp?

Any other procedure you would recommend to "get the water out" or is it simply letting it dry and buying new spark plugs?

Thanks for your help guys!

tim39

Recruit

So now I feel like an idiot...I pulled the plugs and sure enough water came leaking out. Now what do I do?!

There has to be a fuse of something thats still blown. Do you think it could be the 50Amp?

Any other procedure you would recommend to "get the water out" or is it simply letting it dry and buying new spark plugs?

Thanks for your help guys!

turn the engine over a few times to blow the water out of the plugs holes.

Nickypoo

Petty Officer 1st Class

Just curious, what type of drive do you have?

Silverbullet555

Chief Petty Officer

YOU NEED TO GET THAT MOTOR RUNNING ASAP.

Yes, I know I am yelling. You need to figure out why the starter is not working. Check the 50 amp breaker if you have one, check the fuses, jump the starter. Get it turned over with the plugs out. After that, get it fired and warmed up. Change the oil and get it fired again and warmed up.

The longer water sits in the pistons and in the engine where it doesn't belong, the more damage it does.