77 Model 35 hp Johnson boggs down when hot.

flintcreek

Petty Officer 3rd Class
The last couple of times I have taken it out it makes the run to my first fishing hole just fine...jumps up on plane and runs WOT. After I fish for a little while usually 10 + minutes it cranks up fine and runs at idol just fine but when I give it gas it will run up a little but will not go WOT. Hesitates and stumbles. Compression is about 120 on both cylindersl. I have cleaned the carbs. Checked the fire back at the boat launch, pull wire off 1 cylinder and it will still run about the same, no difference either cylinder...idols fair on 1 cylinder give it some gas and it bogs down. Seems to be above a certain rpm. Looking at the CDI troubleshooting page I have formulated the below plan of action.

1. Disconnect the 2 yellow wires form the Rectifier, if the engine has good spark....replace the rectifier, if not go to step 2. (Question: Do I crank and run the engine at this point, how do I know it has good spark....gap type spark tester set at 1/2")

2. Check resistance of Stator, and then DVA reading of stator.....while at the river with boat on trailer and running...150V increasing the RPM should increase the Voltage until it reaches 300 to 400 volts, A sharp drop in voltage before right before miss becomes apparent will normally be caused by a bad stator. A drop of only one orange wire will normally be the power pack. (Question: When connecting to check I go from the brown to brown/yellow wires....for DVA is this a running check and where on what connector would you check?)

3. Use heat spy to check block temp when problem occurs. (Question: Does a 77 model have S.L.O.W.

Thanks for any help.

Flintcreek