alpha one gen one leak question

yonu

Petty Officer 2nd Class
ok all I need a bit of advise I rebuilt the seapump in my gen one a couple weeks ago but just got to test it out today I plan to put it on the muffs and look at it again tomorrow to make sure I will also get out my waterproof camera and take another pic while running. What happened is this when i put it on the muffs this morning to check everything before heading to the ramp I noticed that appeared to be a leak around the nut infront of the shift shaft here is pick of where I am talking about 20130526_184154.jpg now since I had it on the muffs I took note of this but didn't think much since water gets everywhere on muffs. ater seeing the pump was working ok i took her to the ramp and put in when i pulled her out i noticed some oild in the water and looked at the outdrive after after retrailering and found oild around the bolt in the above pic I am trying to figure if I missed a seal when reassembling the drive as. hope this makes sense and some one can throw a suggestion at me on what to check.

Thanks,
Yonu

Bondo

Staff member
Re: alpha one gen one leak question

Ayuh,.... Was the quad ring properly in place when ya put the lower back into the upper housin',..??

yonu

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ayuh,.... Was the quad ring properly in place when ya put the lower back into the upper housin',..??

Best I could tell one side down in the lower unit the other side was went up into the upper unit at least it appeared to as I tighted them together. Should I have used any type of sealer on the quad seal or it is simply a overgrown oring?

dubs283

Vice Admiral

did you pressure test the drive after reassembly before filling it with lube??

yonu

Petty Officer 2nd Class

did you pressure test the drive after reassembly before filling it with lube??

nope sure didn't guide I was using didnt say anything about it how do I do that.

mercs4mark

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hi you need to drop the gear lube out of the unit a do a pressure test to see if you have a leak, best way to find a leak and not a big guessing game, you will get 15 post all telling you it could be this or that.

If your leaking lube out, then water can get in it. drain it and see what it looks like.

achris

More fish than mountain goat

Drain and pressure test. That's the ONLY way you'll find positively where the leak is coming from....

yonu

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I plan to check the lube today and guess I will build a pressure guage where is everyone getting the nipple that threads into the outdrive

Bondo

Staff member

I plan to check the lube today and guess I will build a pressure guage where is everyone getting the nipple that threads into the outdrive

Ayuh,... I use an ole oil bottle adapter, 3/8"-16 threads...

yonu

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks oh dump question as I may have to take the drive back apart if I find a leak the guide I used to change the waterpump which is here MerCruiser Outdrive Water Pump Replacement Instructions. makes no mention of using gasket sealer on the waterpump gasket do I seal them or not just ldont want to have e to do it again for a couple years.

Thanks,
Yonu

dubs283

Vice Admiral

makes no mention of using gasket sealer on the waterpump gasket do I seal them or not

you don't use any sealer on the water pump gaskets, however...

the one thing those instructions don't mention is replacing the water pump base assy, you should do this every time you replace the water pump

you use perfect seal on the water pump base gasket

yonu

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I did the base as mine was past shot but didn't use sealer on it so I guess before I pressure test I will pull it apart and seal the base

yonu

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Real quick which base seal to I use perfect seal on sorry just wat to make sure I do it right this time

dubs283

Vice Admiral

which base seal to I use perfect seal on

use it on the gasket between the gear case and the base assy and the o-ring on the base assy, be sure and thoroughly clean the gear case mating surface

2-4-C grease on the seal lips

yonu

Petty Officer 2nd Class

2 more things then I guess I will get started first

What is seal lips?
Second as there is nowhere local to get the merchant sealers what can I use inplace of perfect seal and out of uriosity what is and effective alternatice to 2-4-c

dubs283

Vice Admiral

the seal lips are what seal the driveshaft from the base, 2-4-C is grease, any grease will work though

some people use the permatex aviation gasket sealer instead of perfect seal

yonu

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks and I wasn't sure about the grease last time I used regular marine bearing grease just wanted to make sure I was doing it right

yonu

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks and I wasn't sure about the grease last time I used regular marine bearing grease just wanted to make sure I was doing it right

one more question i went and picked up a can of permatex aviation and am getting ready to start well I got stupid and decided to check the guide over at sterndrives.com since I had purchased the parts from them but I am alitte confused by this line

Install the plastic guide tube making sure the rubber grommet is in there first.
Slide the square looking o-ring slinger seal down the driveshaft till it hits the pump housing.

as I have no idea which rubber grommet they are referring to as I didn't remove one from the old one

Thanks again,
Yonu

dubs283

Vice Admiral

the plastic guide tube is there for when you re-assemble the drive halves, to make sure the copper tube slides into the pump housing, a little grease on the rubber seal on the housing helps the copper tube fit easier

the grommet goes on top of the housing around the shaft, its to prevent debris from getting into the housing and to prevent water from wicking up the shaft into the upper housing lower shaft seal during operation