One plug sparking

Hey guys ive got a 1965 westbend 50 hp with only one spark plug showing a spark. Any reason why the other one is not sparking?

wickware

Lieutenant
Re: One plug sparking

Have you checked the conditions of the points under the flywheel? What have you done troubleshooting the matter? When did this matter start? What is the motor?s history of performance? Get a manual if needed and get busy, it?s probably minor. Unless you have tuned the motor and performed PM on the motor lately, I feel it could be minor. Pull the fly wheel and post some close pics of the points. Please give any previous history of the past performance between issues.

If you have covered the minor basics, we need to get to some major basics as fire under compression and continuity ohm tests, Etc.

Attachments

• 1970, 35 HP Chrysler's Magneto System 2.JPG
    1970, 35 HP Chrysler's Magneto System 2.JPG
    83.7 KB · Views: 0

Hello wickware,
So the story is i bought this motor with a old boat as a project, changed the coils as they were cracked, took the flywheel off and cleaned/ set points to .020 put the flywheel back on and tried her out.
One plug was sparking the other wasn't. I switched the wires to troubleshoot a bad sparkplug wire and it wasn't that. Im wondering if one point is bad or a condenser needs replacing. Ect . I do npt know too much about the history of the motor only that it was in this guys family since brand new and well taken care or by the look of it considering the year. I can post some pics tomorrow after work . Btw how do u get pictures uploaded on this site?

wickware

Lieutenant

You made a good start on the troubleshooting. As you mentioned, switching some easy parts vs spending is good. I feel you are in the right area but good parts to specs and setting to specs should get some results.

1. Did you switch condensers? Did you find factory spec parts that you changed?
2. Did you run a continuity test on your points (to know they were making contact?
3. Were you sure on the method and spec of setting the points?
4. Could the air gap on the coil be adjusted or one set position (coil to fly space)?

Uploading Pics:

1. Sel reply and Go Advanced.
2. In the adv menu bar you will see a paper clip, click it 1-2 times to allow attaching Pics.
3. With no past pics to drag to the bottom window, sel add files (top right) and Sel files.
4. I?ll suggest the files have to be smaller than 1 meg in Win Properties.
5. Sel files from your saved location on your comp, up to 5 at once holding ctrl key.
6. Sel up-load, sel done, view your preview and submit when satisfied.
7. Once you see the Advance format you will catch on quick. I hope this is enough to start.