Hydrolocked...I think

tbrearton

Cadet
I got a '78 or '79 Evinrude that I believe to be hydrolocked. I have had electrical issues that I have been fighting but I think they are resolved. But the hood was left off in the rain about a week ago. With the plugs out it turns over fine, but with the plugs in it can barely turn over. The last time I tried it turned over once and stopped. So I think I got water in the cylinders from the rain. But now what? I might have messed up by spraying a tiny bit of PB Blaster in there. Please help.

rrw

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Hydrolocked...I think

Putting blaster in there was probably a good thing. With the plugs out and ignition disabled (Unhook runaway clip if equipped), crank it over a bunch, it will push out any water/blaster. You could also blow compressed air into the cylinders to help it dry. If it still cranks hard you probably have other issues, most likely, battery, starter, wiring, assuming it has electric start.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

You read too many forum posts. :facepalm: No way the motor is hydrolocked from being uncovered in the rain. Unless water covered the motor.

'78 or '79 Evinrude isn't much to go on. Details please.

tbrearton

Cadet
It does have electric start and my battery is almost dead from messing with it all day. I don't have a charger so I guesse I'm gonna put some jumper cables on it for a bit. It's reading about 11v, down from 13.5 this morning.

tbrearton

Cadet
Details

Details

It's a '78-'79 Evinrude 55hp. It ran fine on the trailer at my father in laws house when I bought it from him. 2 months later I finally got it to my house and it wasn't touched in the mean time. At first it wouldn't even turn over. Replaced solenoid to no avail. Opened up control box and saw an empty terminal of the six on the ignition. Used a jumper wire to run a ground to it and now it turns over but like the battery is almost dead. My multi meter says the battery is hot. I replaced the cable from solenoid to starter, it looked corroded. I have cleaned the connections on the battery, solenoid, and starter, both hot and ground, and it does the same thing. If I pull the plugs out, it turns over as it should, but with them in its very very slow or nothing at all. This is why I assumed hydrolock.

rrw

Petty Officer 2nd Class

11v with no load on a 12v battery is practically dead.12.65v is a fully charged battery with the surface charge removed. Charge it and go from there.

tbrearton

Cadet

Update: As I tried to turn it over just now (plugs out) it turned over fine at first but after about 3 seconds it became sluggish and actually stopped for a split second. Battery still showing 13v

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Check all the electrical connections from the battery up to the motor. They need to be clean, bright and tight.

tbrearton

Cadet

Thanks everyone for all the quick replies. I'm a little embarrassed but I must admit the problem was a low battery. My multi meter showed 13v but I took it to advanced to have it load tested and they said it was reading just under 12v. They charged it and said it was good. Took it home and hooked it up and she spun rite over no problem. Still not starting but I suppose thats a different thread. But if your interested, it will fire and run very briefly with starter fluid, but not on its own. If I wiggle the fuel line going to the top carb I can see a slight leek so I know fuel is getting at least that far...

bonzoscott

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Don't use starting fluid. Use your pre-mix fuel in a squirt bottle. Starting fluid takes many hours of life out of the rings / cylinders. Pull fuel line from carb/s and crank it. Verify that the fuel pump is squirting fuel out.