Tilt and Trim on a 140 mercruiser

snoopy68

Cadet
I was recently fortunate enough to have been given a 19 ft Angler with a 140 Mercruiser in it. I feel like I have rescued her and have done a lot of work to it to get it right. I have gotten to the point now of the wiring going to the tilt and trim. It works but I know it isn't right because the limit senders on the outside are not hooked up. I wanted to install a gauge on it and noticed the wires to the limit switches had been cut. The control switches are three buttons on the dash and I found a diagram that has the basic layout but it only shows one limit switch on the out-drive and I have one on both pivots. Which one do I use or do I use both?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Tilt and Trim on a 140 mercruiser

How about a year, they aren't all the same. :facepalm:

achris

More fish than mountain goat

I was recently fortunate enough to have been given a 19 ft Angler with a 140 Mercruiser in it. I feel like I have rescued her and have done a lot of work to it to get it right. I have gotten to the point now of the wiring going to the tilt and trim. It works but I know it isn't right because the limit senders on the outside are not hooked up. I wanted to install a gauge on it and noticed the wires to the limit switches had been cut. The control switches are three buttons on the dash and I found a diagram that has the basic layout but it only shows one limit switch on the out-drive and I have one on both pivots. Which one do I use or do I use both?

How to Ask a Question.... Please Read This Before Posting A Question...

snoopy68

Cadet

Sorry, I forgot to put that in there. The boat is a 79, 19 ft Angler cuddy cabin, and I have no idea what year the engine is but it appears to be the origional for the boat. It is the 4 cyl Mercruiser 140.

snoopy68

Cadet

No-one know what the extra limiter is for? Maybe one for the limit and one for a gauge?

thumpar

Admiral

One is a limit switch and the other is for the gauge.