1988 Alpha-1, 350 Mercruiser

hippie2

Seaman Apprentice
Well I hate to ask this question but after all the headaches I have...Where do I find the 2 black wires from the O.D. that have the blue and the other the purple sleeves on them. I am trying to put a jumper wire in because my trim limit switch is shot. I assume they are on the wire coming into the bilge area that looks like a 110 volt lamp cord. I have traced and searched but cannot locate them. In addition, does anyone know where the "lamp cord" wire goes ? It has two circle ends and one wire has a brown sleeve. They reach right to the area where the red reset button is located. Thank you, Bob

mr300z87

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1988 Alpha-1, 350 Mercruiser

I recently replace the trim sender and limit switch on my 88 5.7 bravo, would think the alphas are similar. If I remember correctly the trim limit switch connected to a the trim switch Harness (flat bound colored wires) near the trim pump. The trim limit switch connects to terminals on the merc cathode control box a blue box, which on my engine is located in front of and above the fuel filter/water separator mount on the starboard side of the engine. Reference the service manual I think #9 for an 88 5.7l from either the following site. Boatinfo - The library, containing manuals, brochures and other technical documents from the last hundred years! or possible someone her can post a link to the PDF. I probably have reference photos of them to remind me how they went back together. Let me know and I can looks for them. Hope this makes sense. Also not that all boat manufactures did thing slightly different. My boat is listed in my signature file. Good luck. Mike

hippie2

Seaman Apprentice

Mike, Thank you for posting the address. I have saved it but yet after 3 days of continous searching it, I cannot find where the black wire goes. It looks like a "table lamp" 110v cord. There are two of these coming from the out drive to the inside bilge area. One goes to the hydraulic oil pump and the other comes front to around the red reset button above the water/ gas filter. I simply cannot find where that wire goes!!! If anyone knows please post where it goes. Thank you, Bob

Bondo

Staff member

Mike, Thank you for posting the address. I have saved it but yet after 3 days of continous searching it, I cannot find where the black wire goes. It looks like a "table lamp" 110v cord. There are two of these coming from the out drive to the inside bilge area. One goes to the hydraulic oil pump and the other comes front to around the red reset button above the water/ gas filter. I simply cannot find where that wire goes!!! If anyone knows please post where it goes. Thank you, Bob

Ayuh,.... 1 set is the trim limit circuit for the trim pump, 'n the other set goes to the dash trim gauge,...