Oil injection system

T_Herrod

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have a 2002 Yamaha F50TLRA that is oil injected. It worked fine last year (my first year with the boat) and i was wondering if there is anything special i should do to be sure it is properly serviced. I can find no filters on the system and all the hoses are in good shape and it is free of leaks.
Thanks in advance
Tom

multimech

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Oil injection system

The yamaha oil injection pumps are mechanical and almost bulletproof. If you have had oil in it all along, there really is no maintenance other than make sure the cap is watertight and the oil is free of water. If you have drained it, then you will need to take a screwdriver and open up the bleed valve on the pump (a philips head screw on top of the pump) to bleed air from the system. Then add 50:1 mix in your fuel tank, mark the tank and ensure you have oil consumption.

99yam40

Fleet Admiral

check to see if it has a water trap that need to be drained to get rid of any condensate that might collect in tank.

Need to make sure oil is clean and free of water. it can gel

T_Herrod

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks for the replies. I have always topped the tank off before every outing. I'll do a good inspection to check for moisture.

Capt Ken

Commander

Nobody caught that's it a F50. A four stroke? Four strokes don't have oil injection.

99yam40

Fleet Admiral

I thought it was just a miss print:facepalm:

Boss Hawg

Lieutenant

The yamaha oil injection pumps are mechanical and almost bulletproof. If you have had oil in it all along, there really is no maintenance other than make sure the cap is watertight and the oil is free of water. If you have drained it, then you will need to take a screwdriver and open up the bleed valve on the pump (a philips head screw on top of the pump) to bleed air from the system. Then add 50:1 mix in your fuel tank, mark the tank and ensure you have oil consumption.

Why add 50:1 mix in your fuel tank??

99yam40

Fleet Admiral

To make sure motor gets oil while proving oil injection is working