carb cleaning

Javelin JD

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Ok folks, here's what I'm faced with. My motor is a 1994 evinrude 115, it takes it a minute to start when going to the lake. It sat for about two years before I bought it. It does however start and run without fail (yet). The problem I'm having is that it will sometimes just die when I'm not accelerating, like when it's just idling. I'm thinking the carbs need to be cleaned and I've watched some videos on youtube about people using carb cleaner, which I think is the easiers and less expensive way. Should I give this a try or should I get a carb kit and do a rebuild for which I've never attempted to do. So guy who repairs outbourds near me said it sounds like the carbs are bad and I could damage a piston if I continue to run it and that it would be about 300-400 bucks. Seems steep to me, was soliciting your responses. Thanks

Boss Hawg

Lieutenant
Re: carb cleaning

Impossible to say without seeing inside the carbs--
BUT i just took mine of my 110 Wed & took them apart & cleaned with carb cleaner & air compresser & was good to go-
I'd suggest having a set of kits on hand tho-----
If you don't need them take them back or save for next time- sooner or later you'll use them ;)

Javelin JD

Petty Officer 3rd Class

sounds like good advice Boss, have and not need is better than need and not have. I see you're from East Tex, I'm from Lufkin, I stayed in KY when I retired from the military. Also wanted to say thank you for your service to our nation.

James R

Commander

The correct way, or at least a good way, the way I have done carbs for years and I do them regularly. The carbs need to be stripped and the parts soaked for at least 30 minutes in Gunk carb and parts cleaner. I don't recommend these spray can cleaners as they can do damage. Clean out any muck that may have collected in the bowl. The tiny jets need to be carefully probed clean with thin steel wire or needles. Do not use force and take care not damage the jets. Soak again and rinse clean with fresh water. Carefully dry with compressed air. 20 to thirty PSI should be sufficient. Rebuild with new kits.
If you have an ultrasonic tank as I do then that doesn't hurt either.
When all this is done be sure to use clean fresh fuel, with Marine Stabil and fit a Water Trap Filter in the line.
As you have gone to all this trouble, replace the fuel lines, as they are probably going bad due to the crappy fuel we have to use.

Javelin JD

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks James, the guy I bought the boat from had the fuel lines replaced, atleast the one that is attached to the primer bulb. He put in new plugs as well, but I don't think he actually cleaned the carbs or had them rebuilt. I'll try and find the kits and do it the correct way, I was just trying to save 35 bucks per carb kit. the fuel screen/filter sounds like a good thing, I'll have to check to see if there is one in place

Boss Hawg

Lieutenant

sounds like good advice Boss, have and not need is better than need and not have. I see you're from East Tex, I'm from Lufkin, I stayed in KY when I retired from the military. Also wanted to say thank you for your service to our nation.

Same to you my friend! I've lived just North of Lufkin for near 30yrs---
A few of us are heading to Sam Rayburn in a couple of hours - most likely put in at Hanks Creek :laugh:
One more thing about all your lines-Make very very sure they are tight & secure, if the end (on connection) looks a bit swelled or fraed at least trim it 1/4" inch or so-use a clamp where possible but i use at least a zip tie in the small tight places--

Javelin JD

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Boss, I knew Sam Rayburn lake pretty well as a kid, my Aunt had a cafe there in Broaddus for some time in the 80's. The fuel line from the tank all the way to the carbs are brand new with an in-line filter under the hood, the clamps however don't look new, so I'll start replacing and look for the water trap filter to put in. I just don't want to damage the engine by running it. The motor runs well when throttled, it's just sometimes when it's at idle that it dies. Granted I've only had it out 3 times since I got it and know more money will be sucked into the boat since it's older, so I do value everyone's advice.

James R

Commander

Clean carbs are a lot less expensive than a new or motor rebuild. If you don't have a water trap fuel filter in line then expect water damage.
Wally world has them for under $30.

Ryan0186

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I would clean and rebuild both carbs and change out the fuel lines. I had a 95 Johnson 112 SPL that sat for about three years when I bought it. Wouldn't start and after cleaning the carbs and new fuel lines. You could try running some SeaFoam through the gas if your not looking to rebuild at first. Its worth a try.

Javelin JD

Petty Officer 3rd Class

thanks Ryan, I was initially thinking about deep creep or some other type of carb cleaner to see if that eliminated the problem before I tackled any major overhaul. I wanted to try the cheapest solution before moving onto the more expensive solutions first especially since I don't exactly know what the issue is.