1988 johnson 48 spl fuel spitting out of the top of carbs

1tomtom

Cadet
48 Johnson SPL I had my carbs rebuilt now fuel spits out of the top of the carbs and doesn't run right. I've taken these carbs off ten times now and cleaned everything on them and the boat still doesn't run right. Is it possible to have bad carburetors? Reeds are fine and both carbs have been through a acid bath

Laddies

Banned
Re: 1988 johnson 48 spl fuel spitting out of the top of carbs

The inlets are either leaking or the float level is to high, inless the acid rinse has ruied the carb bodys, never soak a 2 cycle carb.

1tomtom

Cadet

There is nothing visibly wrong with either carburetor from the acid

bonz_d

Vice Admiral

Have to agree with either a float or needle valve. Something's not closing and is flooding that carb.

MaPaHa

Petty Officer 1st Class

I had that happen on a Johnson 175 fast strike with 6 carbs. Rebuilt the carbs and same thing. It turned out to be a vacuum hose in the wrong place. I dont remember which one but as I think about it, the hose should of gone to the air intake schroud to give the carbs atmospheric pressure and it was hooked to the carb vent. This is not a good description of what was wrong because I dont remember exactly but when I fixed it it ran fine. It came from a boat repair shop like that where I had some work done. :(

1tomtom

Cadet

According to the marine mechanic that's working on this motor, everything is spotless clean and there is no reason for the carbs to not be working correctly. These carbs do not have adjustable jets. If I need new carburetors can I upgrade to a newer style carb with adjustable jets? Or should I just find a better marine mechanic?

bonz_d

Vice Admiral

Think about it. If the carbs are clean and everything is as it should be then you wouldn't be leaking fuel now would you?

If there is an upgrade to a different carb for this I sure don't know anything about it.

1tomtom

Cadet

Looks as though I need a new marine tech then huh