OMC 3.0 COBRA tilt/trim inop

Kcu320

Recruit
The boat is in my driveway. I lowered the drive using the trim/tilt in order to run the engine on muffs. Has worked previously with no hitch or problems. I left the drive down for use in starting during the couple of days.

I had the cover on and looped between the rams on either side. I hit the switch and mistakenly it lowered the drive for a second and quit. There was no click and the button in the tilt/trim on the remote has no physical feeling to it and the tilt/trim was inop.

I unhooked the cover strap from around the rams. I traced the wiring using the OMC manual and pushed the relay button on the tilt/trim motor. It was not sticking out and does nothing when I press it. I have not used a multi-meter. I keep thinking there has to be a switch to push or a fuse. I have been unsuccessful in finding one. It looks like I will have to disconnect the rams so I can manually lift the drive so I can move it.

In tracing the wires I could not locate the following: trim/tilt switch (on remote?), circuit breaker, trim sending unit, in-line 50 amp and 20 amp fuses.

Once I can positively locate these parts I can complete following the instructions from the manual.

I have completed the following:
-there are no obstructions or mechanical bindings
-battery is charged
-ground cable looks good

Ihave not completed the rest due to not being able to locate
-50 amp fuse
-B+ circuit from battery to relay control box terminal
-circuit breaker
-B+ circuit from relay control box to trim/tilt switch
-12v at trim/tilt switch input
-switch 12v output,up and down position
-wiring from switch output to relay control box
-12v at relay terminals with switch up and down

I would appreciate advice and/or assistance in locating the parts I can't find. I may be looking right at them but they don't match the wiring (DR2470) or circuit (DR2894).

Kcu320

Recruit
Re: OMC 3.0 COBRA tilt/trim inop

I just located the trim sending unit. It is on the drive. I moved it with my finger and it goes back to its original position. It had no effect in making the tilt work.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I just located the trim sending unit. It is on the drive. I moved it with my finger and it goes back to its original position. It had no effect in making the tilt work.

That sender goes to the gauge only, has nothing to do with the trim and tilt working.

What year 3L do you have

In tracing the wires I could not locate the following: trim/tilt switch (on remote?), circuit breaker, trim sending unit, in-line 50 amp and 20 amp fuses.

It's the same switch you put the drive down with.

Main fuse is on the engine.

Sounds like you have the relay box, try this.

T-T TS.jpg

Kcu320

Recruit

Thanks for your response and the information. I did not locate the engine serial number to get the date like your sticky note said so I do not have the year. I found the 20 amp fuse and broke the glass trying to get it open. I fooled around with my other remote and the switch has the positive feel for both up and down.
I was pretty bummed. I am just trying to sell this anchor. I also just found out the lower shift cable needs replacing. For my sanity, I had to put it away for a bit. No boating this Memorial Day and I am not giving another cent to a boat mechanic!
I will study what you sent me and try it again and get the engine number then update the post. Thanks again, Don.