power pack or coil?

Eric Johnson

Cadet
How do i know if one or the other is going bad? Boat starts right up, When I get her on plane it hesitates a few times then dies out. Sometimes it starts right up sometimes I have to wait. At low speeds this does not happen. I put some Jesus juice in the gas tank 2 weeks ago and it ran fine. 1994 Johnson faststrike 150:cold:

LongLine

Chief Petty Officer
Re: power pack or coil?

Sounds more like fuel issue to me. But if you want to check coils, check for good spark first then switch them around and see if same thing happens. i.e. remount them in different positions - don't just move plug wires around.

Tom B.
(LongLine)

multimech

Petty Officer 1st Class

The best thing to do is use a sparkboard to check the coil output. 7/16" gap and also find out which cylinder is effected....if it is a spark problem. You can put the engine in gear tied to the dock and pull of each spark plug lead and see if it effects the running of the engine. Pulling one off with no die out will tell you that one is not firing

Eric Johnson

Cadet

Sounds more like fuel issue to me. But if you want to check coils, check for good spark first then switch them around and see if same thing happens. i.e. remount them in different positions - don't just move plug wires around.

Tom B.
(LongLine)

What do you mean by fuel issues? what should I check?

LongLine

Chief Petty Officer

Sounds to me like engine runs fine with full carburators but doesn't run well when spark is advanced and more gas is needed. Could be the carburators themselves, could be something blocking fuel lines, could be anti-siphon, could be fuel line, possible fuel pump, possible fuel filter. Could be the J-juice loosened something up that didn't pass thru the engine.

Tom B.
(LongLine)