1990 90hp Force Over heated now it will not start

fluffyducklin

Recruit
I was doing an engine service had water hooked up to ears. I noticed the motor was running worse the longer it ran. But would Idle fine. So I went and bought new spark plugs. I installed those and I had the same problem. Then like the idiot I am I noticed that the water was not flowing the best so I put it into the back of my mind that as soon as I was done "smoothing the engine out" I would install a new impala well then things went from bad to worse. I had my son turn off the motor. I readjusted the ears on the shaft turned the water pressure up a little. and tried a restart. It turned over then froze. Luckily ( I say that with a hopeful heart ) It wasn't a hard freeze. I took the plugs out sprayed a little lube in the cylinders and I never had to use any pressure and it was moving again. Now here we are I went and bought a whole cooling kit changed everything housing included. put it back together. It will try to start it it chugs for a second then stops. It acts like it is a fail safe mode or something. If someone could give me some insight I would be very happy.

matt167

Captain
Re: 1990 90hp Force Over heated now it will not start

Check the compression. You might have fried it. Rings generally don't like it and the cylinders end up galled.. 2 strokes are very susceptible to this damage and are also very dependent on compression to run correctly.

fluffyducklin

Recruit

Compression is between 125 and 120. DOwn the board should have mentioned that.

foodfisher

Captain

"chugs for a sec.." ? If that means slow starter, clean all associated connections then the starter guts.

fluffyducklin

Recruit

Chug means the engine catches enough to kick the starter out "putters" then stops. I am an automotive ASE certified master tech. but this damn thing is kicking my ***.

foodfisher

Captain

Obviously you know an engine needs compression (yours is acceptable), fuel (is it there?), and spark (did the overheat burn a wire causing a short?) I suspect fuel starvation. Choke working?

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

Well, you know that on a cold start, the control handle must be set into fast idle position and the key must be pushed in and held in to choke while cranking.

Fast idle position is set by (depending upon the control box) either pulling out the whole handle about 1/4 inch and advancing it as far as it will go or pushing in the center button and again advancing throttle handle as far as it will go.

If you do not do this, some engine will simply not start and some may spit back or kick over and stall.

fluffyducklin

Recruit

Foodfisher I think you have an Idea there. I will be checking that as soon as I have a new starter. Frank You might have an Idea too I know absolutely nothing about this boat I bought it cheap with no books and the guy I bought it off of never told me about it either. I am a car guy. But I always dreamed of having a house on the gulf and a little boat to putter around in. well I have the house but still no boat. But I'm trying.