Engine restorations

PeteyD

Seaman Apprentice
I currently have a well running nissan 25 1992 and have done much work on it as preventative maintenance. Anyway im contemplating picking up another 25hp 92 non running for a couple hundred bucks depending on whats wrong with it and trying to get it running and turn it around and sell it for a measly profit. Worst case scenario is i have a parts motor for my running 25? Any of you guys gotten yourself into flipping motors?

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral
Re: Engine restorations

It's usually not cost effective due to the cost of the parts and what the engine would actually be worth after being repaired. It's a 21 year old engine worth around a grand in great condition. Factor in whatever your time is worth to fix it and you may want to just keep it as a spare parts motor for your other one.

Bronlonius

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I think if the price is right, it's worth buying just for a parts motor. Whether or not it's going to be profitable to fix and resell will depend on what's wrong with it, but having a spare lower unit, prop, carb, etc. would be worth a few hundred if you're going to keep yours for a while. You could also disassemble it, and sell all of the parts separately if it's too expensive to get running.

PeteyD

Seaman Apprentice

Im still thinking about it as long as its still up for a while il lowball him. The mid section just where it meets the lower unit has evidence of an underwater strike, damage is clearly visible. A friend at work mentioned an underwater strike can damage the crankshaft, which i can believe is that true?

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

Possible, yes...Likely, no. Multipiece crank shaft, so they could twist, instead of breaking like a forged one piece, but it's really rare to see it. It's very easy to check though. Determine top dead center for each piston and mark the flywheel at each point. If the teeth on the flywheel are equal between the point's it's not twisted.

Oh, and buy a service manual before you get into doing anything. Available from any Nissan or Tohatsu dealer...Except me:)

Last edited:

PeteyD

Seaman Apprentice

So here's something neat about the service manual....I Googled the part number and the first thing that came up was a PDF file. I opened this file and something that said service manual came up on my screen... Can this be the service manual you speak of?

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

Not unless someone has violated copywrite laws. The service manual is not allowed to be put on the web.