Occasional whine from Merc 470 (not bearing or U Joints) :-(

structural1

Seaman Apprentice
Need some help here guys..... I have a 22' Regal Cuddy with the infamous 470 4 banger. Had it for about 10 months. When I bought it former owner had just had a service with new gimbal bearing, all bellows, and u-joints (marina receipts to prove it).

It cranks right up, runs fine, charges, and doesn't leak antifreeze out of the weep hole. Knock on wood.

Here is the issue. At idle I hear an occasional "whine" coming out of what seems like the rear starboard side of the engine. Its not a knock. Its not a grinding noise. I can only describe it as a whine. Kinda like what you hear from a bad power steering pump on an older car if you turn the wheel to the extreme left or right. When I idle up to a "mid to high idle" the noise goes away. The whine does not get faster or louder with engine speed. At speed there is no "whine". Turning to the xtreme left and right makes no difference. Outdrive up or down makes no difference. Its not the power steering pump. I can hold my ear to the pump and it clearly is not the pump.

I thought gimbal bearing or u joints and the former owner had lied about the replacement. So tonight I pulled the outdrive. He was telling the truth. U joints look brand new, bellows are water free, and bearing is shiny and greased nicely.

With outdrive off.... I cranked it up and at idle still makes the noise. Still goes away at a "mid to high idle".

What the heck is it? I'm thinking maybe the mechanical fuel pump is whining. Does that make sense? Anyone hear of a mechanical fuel pump doing this?

Any other ideas?

dubs283

Vice Admiral
Re: Occasional whine from Merc 470 (not bearing or U Joints) :-(

Anyone hear of a mechanical fuel pump doing this?

nope, they rattle,clack, leak or don't pump if they have an issue - they don't spin, its just an arm that moves in and out to acticate the pump

as far as your whine, get it to where its the loudest and use a mechanics stethescope or long handled screwdriver to your ear to help isolate the source