Alpha One prop clearence? anode ?

radioflyerace

Recruit
I have an Alpha One outdrive on a 1991 Lazer that I want to try out a borrowed prop on to test performace. The prop blade does not clear the anode fin on the bottem of the drive. I have two questions that I hope you can help with.

Q1. can I run the boat without the anode for a short test run without damage?

Q2. If I am happy with this prop/ any problems with installing the flat anoid?

SWD

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Alpha One prop clearence? anode ?

I think for a test run you should have no issues. Longer term I would replace with a flat anode.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

You can leave it off for the test run, if you do need to have the trim tab, you can either grind off part of the anode, or you can buy an offset anode that gives more clearance.

radioflyerace

Recruit

Don S & SWD thank you for your time, I will give it a short test and if happy with the prop i'll try out the flat anode. What are the effects of operating without the fin on the anode that would require an offset design?

Fun Times

Staff member

What are the effects of operating without the fin on the anode that would require an offset design?
If you have no power steering you will need the fin or an offset fin to fit your new prop due to it would affect steering had you not have power steering.

Is your engine a 3.0 4 cyl by chance? That's one common engine model that typically does not come with power steering as a standard option.

radioflyerace

Recruit

FT thanks, It is a 4.3L with power steering so perhaps I will not need the fin.

dubs283

Vice Admiral

the tab type anode will not help with power steering of course, but depending on what type of anodes you have you may want the tab type

the tab has more surface area than the flat and if you have just the two gumdrop anodes at the bottom of the gimble housing you may want to use the tab anode - especially with a stainless prop

it will give you more anodic protection against corrosion than just the flat one - the flat one being used in conjunction with 5 other anodes on gen II drives