Trailering is a pain

wiegs

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Guys, what is the secret to get a pontoon to load on the trailer correct. For some reason I cannot get it to get up to the front. When I crank the boat up it just won't move. Will bunk slides solve this?

crb478

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Trailering is a pain

Bunk slides will help, but can you back in the water farther?

wiegs

Petty Officer 2nd Class

My back truck tire is on the water already. I think the problem is I am too far in the water and the trailer is flexing cause I crank all the way to the stairs. The boat sits pretty high on the trailer. I think the slide will allow me to load like our ski boat. Get three quarter trailer under the water and crank it up.

MinUph

Chief Petty Officer

You might just be at a shallow ramp? If this is the case you might have to just live with it. Is there another ramp you can try? When I put my trailer to far in the water it won't go on all the way because the eye is too high when I get close to the winch. Boats is still floating.
How far below the surface are your bunks?
Slips are sooo much easier. Hop in and go :)

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral

I back mine in till the bunks are just under the water and once on its a 1 foot crank. I am on a shallow ramp. A slip is so nice I enjoy my boat a lot more just because of that.

Pwrstrktech

Cadet

I found on my bunk trailer, its hard with a current, It took me a whole bunch of attempts to get it loaded... I Live on a river, and its only out a few times a year... can you power load where you are?? I know some people frown on it but i found that it makes it way easeier to load mine... I took a slow day at the ramp... Not that we have a ton of busy days, and just loaded it, unloaded it loaded it unloaded, it dose go better with two people. but Non the less its a pain... I envy the guys with the lift trailers, (skeletons) whatever you want too call it, those seemed easier at the end of season rush...

lncoop

Vice Admiral

My back truck tire is on the water already. I think the problem is I am too far in the water and the trailer is flexing cause I crank all the way to the stairs. The boat sits pretty high on the trailer. I think the slide will allow me to load like our ski boat. Get three quarter trailer under the water and crank it up.

I agree with MinUph that it sounds like a shallow ramp, but if the boat won't respond to the winch you're definitely not in too far. What I usually do is have the admiral (she's the backer) dunk the bunks completely then have her pull up until they're two thirds or so out of the water. I ease the boat onto the bunks and "stick them", then I have her ease back as I ease forward. Once the boat is within a foot or two of the bow stop I hop out and man the winch. If it's difficult to winch I have her ease back a little at a time as I crank. Works every time on all kinds of ramps, but it does take a little practice. Good luck wiegs.:)

wiegs

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The issue is I submerge the trailer bunks completely and crank the all the way til the front is touching the stairs. When I pull it out of the water there is about 2-3 inches of gap between the front of the boat and stairs. I am thinking if I install bunk slides I will be able to winch the boat up and not be so deep. I really don't know what is going on and I was really frustrated that once I pulled out of the water completely the boat was not sitting on the trailer correctly.

Mi duckdown

Commander

PICS of your trailer with pontoon ON would help. something does not add up.

BigDfromTN

Petty Officer 1st Class

The issue is I submerge the trailer bunks completely and crank the all the way til the front is touching the stairs. When I pull it out of the water there is about 2-3 inches of gap between the front of the boat and stairs. I am thinking if I install bunk slides I will be able to winch the boat up and not be so deep. I really don't know what is going on and I was really frustrated that once I pulled out of the water completely the boat was not sitting on the trailer correctly.

Sounds like your trailer is too deep into the water.
I picture this as you are winching the deck up to the stairs stop and the rear of the boat is floating. When you pull out the rear of the boat settles on the bunks and thus leaves a gap at the front stop. Try backing in that deep and then pull back up a little and use the power of your engine to drive the boat onto the trailer.

Let us know how you come out.

lncoop

Vice Admiral

I don't how I missed it that you're submerging the bunks completely. Yes, that is too deep and will definitely cause the back of the boat to wander.

Okieboatguy

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yes, the trailer is to deep, you want to have the front of the bunks out of the water and power to the front of the trailer. On occasion where I have been on steep ramps and have run into the same issue, I simple had my wife pull forward so the rear 20-25% of the boat was floating and it made it easier to crank up to step. If all that does not work, I have heard that non-stick cooking spray or a silicone spray on the bunks makes them slide much easier, but I have never had need to try it.

BobGinCO

Chief Petty Officer

I have this exact situation. It's because when you winch it up to the stops, the back of the toons are probably still a foot off the bunk. When you pull it out, the boat settles on the bunks, and that "pivots" it away from the bow stop. Bunk slicks really help with that last 2 to 3 inches, after you're out of the water. I also have a 2" ratchet strap, that I take from the bottom of the middle toon, FORWARD around a cross-member, and back to the bottom of the middle toon. I use this to pull the boat forward to the bow stop - because if i try to do it with the bow winch, the bow stop just FLEXES back!!!

Old Screwball

Petty Officer 1st Class

Depending on water level (river) I've backed down the ramp until my exhaust was blowing bubbles. If you can't winch the boat onto the trailer, how did you get it off?? I usually back down until the rear of the 'toon is floating. When I retrieve it, I back in about a foot less.

Good Luck.

wiegs

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have this exact situation. It's because when you winch it up to the stops, the back of the toons are probably still a foot off the bunk. When you pull it out, the boat settles on the bunks, and that "pivots" it away from the bow stop. Bunk slicks really help with that last 2 to 3 inches, after you're out of the water. I also have a 2" ratchet strap, that I take from the bottom of the middle toon, FORWARD around a cross-member, and back to the bottom of the middle toon. I use this to pull the boat forward to the bow stop - because if i try to do it with the bow winch, the bow stop just FLEXES back!!!

That is exactly what is happening. And ratcheting out of the water just flexes the stairs. I just got bunk slides to cover the entire boards. I hope that does the trick. Do you have any pics of you ratchet setup?

BobGinCO

Chief Petty Officer

I hope that does the trick. Do you have any pics of you ratchet setup?

Nah, but I just hook both ends in the open end of my transom. Maybe it's a 3" wide strap. Probably. It has wide, flat hooks, that I just place on either side of my motor support below:

Photo07201146crop.jpg

EDIT: And my bunk slicks are from that Professional Bass Shop place - they come in sets of 10, each about a foot long or so - I just spaced them down my bunks. I'm planning on doubling the number.

scubacuda

Seaman Apprentice

can you adjust te highth on your winch to get the bow up higher, or go to a two winch system