70hp evinrude tilt problems please give me suggestions..

I just bought a boat for my first time and it has a 1975 evinrude 70hp on it. The tilt cylinder has a bit of fluid comming out of the top not alot just enough to see its a leak. I bought a seal kit to fix the problem but found a new problem. The pin that goes through the top of the trim cylinder rod that attaches to the motor is siezed i cant get it to budge had a air hammer on it but wouldnt move. wonderfull invention to put a steel pin in an aluminum bracket. any ideas how i can remove this pin.

pn

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 70hp evinrude tilt problems please give me suggestions..

try pb blaster and a torch. pb blaster for an hour and then heat it up, the surrounding for a couple of minutes and then whack it with a punch. that steel your talking about is probably stainless, it's the aluminum thats corroded. good luck.

RRitt

Captain

i have found that the most effective thing is heat and vibration. The most effective chemical for me has been screen door lubricant (it is engineered for aluminum and actually seems to soften the AL-OX residue). In terms of Dr. bader's home remedies ... vinegar does okay. the acid in the vinegar softens the alox without harming anything. PB blaster has never helped me except on rust. I think you're probably looking at aluminum corrosion.

multimech

Petty Officer 1st Class

You have a lot of salt built up around the pin. It holds the pin in place like a clamp. You will need a lot of heat because the bracket is a huge chunk of aluminum and is a great heat sink.