1963 gale 40 hp spark problem

JFK boating

Cadet
I think it's a 1963 gale sovereign 40hp ran rough at idle but once throttled she took off (first day I bought it) then died checked for spark only lower cylinder. New plugs still nothing pulled flywheel and all parts look new and had new crimp eyelets (indicates recent installation?) set points to .020 trimmed wires on coil end re installed and had nice spark on upper cylinder and weak on lower. Tried to start anyway no start rechecked spark and nothing. This is with the two black wires from the coils disconnected.(kill switch wires I think? One to the key and one ground?) One black wired has a knife/s connector and the other has an eyelet. Does the eyelet go to terminal on the left hand side of the motor looking from rear of boat. That terminal is on a vacum sensor thing. Also there is a white wire coming from a switch block on top running off the timing plate to that vacum sensor. What is that switch button for? Also the round plastic part of one coil is a little loose slides on the metal plates? Points are new by the looks of them condensors and coils all look fresh.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1963 gale 40 hp spark problem

Why is that coil loose?
Neither of those black wires is supposed to be grounded
The vacuum cut-out switch prevents run-away
The other switch prevents starting at high throttle settings, and also prevents the vacuum cut-out from operating at high throttle settings.

Can't tell you what's wrong, you have to discover that on-site through orderly inspection and troubleshooting.

Attachments

• Wiring 1962-63 Gale 60 Without Generator verified fr.jpg
    Wiring 1962-63 Gale 60 Without Generator verified fr.jpg
    119.9 KB · Views: 2

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Oops, that was the wrong diagram. Oh well keep it anyway, but here is the right one (I hope)

Attachments

• Wiring 1962-63 Gale 40hp Without generator 1962-64 28hp 1965-66 33hp Without Generator verified .jpg
    Wiring 1962-63 Gale 40hp Without generator 1962-64 28hp 1965-66 33hp Without Generator verified .jpg
    130 KB · Views: 2

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

Be sure the points actually close and have continuity.Be sure the flywheel key in not damaged and the keyway is good.
Be sure the crank and flywheel bore are clean and dry,Torque nut to 100-105 ft lbs.
Coil armatures should be aligned with a stator plate bosses.
Be sure the stator plate doesn't wobble.
Try swapping the coils.
Check for spark with the harness disconnected.

JFK boating

Cadet

The stator plate has some up and down wobble. Coils are flush with bosses there was residual penetrating oil from flywheel removal and a little grease near crank seal? Maybe causing point problem.I got resistance between one coil and both plug wires 36k and none from second coil to either plug wires . continuity to ground from point lead to condensor casing/body. Continuity from coil ground to points .cant pull up the thumbnail on my phone but will look later. The vacum cut off has two terminals one in center and one bottom left. The switch button lead goes to which one? And what goes to the other? The white wire from the harness? Hoping to go boating this weekend. Thanks guys

JFK boating

Cadet

The two black wires from the stator plate both go to the harness then? One has the knife connector definatley goes to the harness the other someone put an eyelet on it but im going to install a spade plug to connect it to the second black from the harness. These are the killswitch wires right? And if disconnected the engine will run but not shut off from the key?

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

Dont disconnect the eyelet, you need it. That lead attaches to the cutout switch center post, then another lead from the center post goes to wiring harness. The lead with the knife disconnect goes to the harness as well. From there, they go to the 2 M posts on your keyswitch. As you know, they kill the motor when the key is turned off.

When you put your meter leads on the coil ground, then to the plug leads you should get between 3000 and 8000 ohms resistance. You have an issue with either your coil, the connection of the plug wire to coil, then plug wire itself, or the connection from plug wire to spark plug spring.

I would also clean the points while you are in there. Dress them by running wet/dry folded in half through them a dozen times, blow off with compressed air, then dip business card stock, or clean paper in acetone and run that through. Even a finger print will limit spark.

Now there will be 2 white wires coming from the off center post of the cutout switch. One goes to the safety switch, the other to the harness, and then small post of the solenoid.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Durn!! I thought the wiring diagram was pretty clear. How can I make it better?

JFK boating

Cadet

My home internet is down I wasn't able to pull up the diagrams I'll check them in the morn and update tomorrow thanks for the fast input

JFK boating

Cadet

alright got the diagrams printed out and i have the vacum shutoff wired wrong including the safety switch and harness wires all wrong plus the white wire from the cut out runs to the junction box and is cut off there ill be repairing these problems and see what happens. would that cause spark to come and go?? also the black and brown wires running with that white one are rubbed by the junction box lid! ill repost once repairs are completed and tested THANKS!!

JFK boating

Cadet

alright got the diagrams printed out and i have the vacum shutoff wired wrong including the safety switch and harness wires all wrong plus the white wire from the cut out runs to the junction box and is cut off there ill be repairing these problems and see what happens. would that cause spark to come and go?? also the black and brown wires running with that white one are rubbed by the junction box lid! ill repost once repairs are completed and tested THANKS!!