shift cable adjust

pioneer11

Seaman Apprentice
When i put my boat in forward and back to neutral it likes to stay in forward! I have to go back into reverse a little for it to actually go into neutral.

Is there a way to adjust this cable? the engine is a 99 johnson 150. thanks

pn

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: shift cable adjust

never worked on your particular engine but... they all shift the same. Take the cowl off and stare at the shifting mechanism...with your buddy on the remote shifter have him or her move it around. Take it real slow and think about how it works take note where neutral is and adjust cable length as necessary. you can spin the prop by hand to see if it's in gear or not. good luck

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Re: shift cable adjust

(Centering Shift Cable)
(J. Reeves)

When all is as it should be, the proper method to adjust the shift cable is to disconnect the cable from the engine. Move the shift linkage on the engine to find the center of the play in neutral, and when found, leave it centered.

Now, grab the end of the shift cable sleeve, push and pull it to find the center of the play there, and center that play.

Adjust the trunion on the threaded portion of the shift cable so that the centered play of the cable lines up with the centered play of the engine's shift linkage. Install and lock the shift cable with the retaining clamp in that position. That's it.