Stuck timing rod 1969 Chrysler 45 hp failure to return to idle stop

mculpii

Seaman Apprentice
Well I had the boat out the other day and had other issues with my f-n-r linkage. The boat ran well and we ran it out of gas. Here is what I'm now noticing when I return the throttle to idle the linkage doesn't go back to idle. More specifically it has to do with the advance rod that runs under the flywheel. It's not frozen it does advance all the way up however it fails to return all the way which keeps my idle screw about 3/4" off the stop. Any ideas? Is this common for something to break under there causing it to stick? It did return all the way prior to my last lake trip. I didn't pick up on it out there cause I had the gear shift cable disconnected and had manually placed it in forward due to my other issue. I would think if something got loose under the flywheel I would have spark issues.

Any guess's? Thanks Mitch

Also I thought maybe it got turned out so now it was advanced to much but I don't think that's the case as it ran fine and it doesn't appear like I can just rotate that timing advance rod. It's got the lock screw snugged down.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Re: Stuck timing rod 1969 Chrysler 45 hp failure to return to idle stop

Occasionally the timing tower will break right at the top plastic support block. check that.

mculpii

Seaman Apprentice

Occasionally the timing tower will break right at the top plastic support block. check that.

If I can see the orange block where the rod threads into and that whole round assembly move then I should be ok right?
Your talking about that rod coming out of that orange block breaking or that block breaking? I still have my fly wheel on so I can't totally see but everything in there seems to be rotating properly but when I come all the way around I hit a hard stop.

foodfisher

Captain

The block will crack or the threads will strip. Mine cracked causing the threads to strip.

wickware

Lieutenant

Pics off my 1970 35 hp Chrysler that I feel are relater. Hope this helps. Could the idle screw not seating be related to your Acc control position (not letting it seat? Or, could another idle adjustment if it is always high?

Also an attachment of that Painful Lower Unit Mistake! ?Too Aggressive? w/o a manual?s info is all I can think of that causes this. Excuse the mixing of info!!

Attachments

• Boat 70 Chrysler 35 HP Points.jpg
    Boat 70 Chrysler 35 HP Points.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 0
  • Boat's 35 HP Linkage in Forward Position 2.JPG
    Boat's 35 HP Linkage in Forward Position 2.JPG
    103.1 KB · Views: 0
  • Chrysler 1970, 35 HP, Marked Vent & Oil Drain Plugs & D-N Touch Screw.jpg
    Chrysler 1970, 35 HP, Marked Vent & Oil Drain Plugs & D-N Touch Screw.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 0

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

NO, I am talking about the cast aluminum timing tower. Occasionally they break just below the idle stop screw, either inside, or at the top of the plastic support block (Where the ground wire is in the second photo). Have someone move the control handle while you watch the timing tower. with the engine in neutral try advancing the timing by hand, pushing on the top lever. If you can move it then either a cable is broken or the timing tower is broken.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

Sounds like the throttles not ideling down????
If so try unhooking the connector on the throttle cable.
Screw it on further and pull it so it comes back.

Hope you understand.
Profile? Location? You might be close to someone who can help??

mculpii

Seaman Apprentice

**Update. I dug into the issue and went all the way to the bottom plate that holds the points module. It had 1 of the 4 countersunk screws backed out and it was stopping the rotation. I used lock tight on it and two others that I could get out and the forth one was in good so I left it alone. Put it all back together and she's good to go. Also cleaned points while I was in there. Man those flywheels are a bear to get off I tried my impact but had to hand crank it to actually get it to pop off.

wickware

Lieutenant

Good Job! How much torque did you put on the flywkeel nut?

mculpii

Seaman Apprentice

Good Job! How much torque did you put on the flywkeel nut?

You know I ran the nut down with my impact and watched it turn the locknut down. I have a pretty weak compressor so it won't over torque it. After that I hit it a couple more times and watched until it stopped moving. No torque wrench that size so I did it Germangoodandtight. LOL What is the spec and I will double check it with my dad's torque wrench?

mculpii

Seaman Apprentice

Ok so I just read up on the flywheel torque and saw the shearing key issue with low torque. So I'm gonna double check that with my breaker bar before I run her again. Or maybe even get me a torque wrench and go to 80 ft pounds. Thanks all for the help.

wickware

Lieutenant

80 ft lbs X 45 hp per my Clymer Manual. Please let someone verify that before you torque it. It seems like a lot since my 35 hp is 45 ft lbs. Holding it will be the job. Attached is my jig for holding and pulling

Attachments

• Boat 70 Chrysler 35 HP Flywheel Puller 2.jpg
    Boat 70 Chrysler 35 HP Flywheel Puller 2.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 0
  • Boat 70 Chrysler 35 HP Flywheel Puller.jpg
    Boat 70 Chrysler 35 HP Flywheel Puller.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 0
  • Boat 70 Chrysler 35 HP Flywheel Holder.jpg
    Boat 70 Chrysler 35 HP Flywheel Holder.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 0