Speakers: Polk vs. Rockford Fosgate

rgcummings

Cadet
I am going to be upgrading the stock stereo in my 2011 Tahoe Q5i. I already have a 10" Rockford Fosgate 500W subwoofer and it will all be powered by a 2000W Pyle PLMRA6206 amp.
My question is which speakers are better Polk or Rockford Fosgate? I've heard good things about Polk but I am also interested in the Rockford Fosgate M2M262 (6.5') or the M2M282 (8").
Anyone here have any experience with Rockford Fosgate marine speakers?

Silverbullet555

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Speakers: Polk vs. Rockford Fosgate

In reality it doesn't matter. Boats are horrible acoustic environments and it likely won't make a difference.

That being said, fosgate of today is not the top tier fosgate of 20 years ago. Honestly, get Polk DB651 on sale for under $50 per pair and you;ll be good to go. Our boat has 10 of those in it and they all sound good.

Star

Chief Petty Officer

When you go to pickup the speakers be sure you stop by Walmart and get three 29 series deep cycle batteries to keep your amps running for 4 hours or so. What water do you boat on... I DON'T WANT TO BE THERE!!!

rgcummings

Cadet

Thanks Guys!
I went with the Polk MM651UM (200W each) and installing a second battery is a must. All this maybe a bit more than my 2011 Tahoe Q5i needs, but then again, I always over-build. I'm in the Destin FL area.