Spark plug gap question

capeshore

Seaman
5.7 carbureted GM block spec to volvo . Manual says ac delco 41-932 or 41-993 at .030. Engine had iridium ac delco 41-101 in it.they come at .060 new. should these plugs also be at .030 for my application. Thanks guys !

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Spark plug gap question

Those are for MPI engines, not carbed engines. What is your engines full model number, and I will get you the correct spark plug numbers.

DO NOT try to close the gaps on those plugs. It will destroy them. That is why you need the correct plugs.

capeshore

Seaman

Thanks Don, the engine is a Indmar Barr and built for direct fit to volvo exuast etc. so no actual model per se. I called them they don't put the plugs in. The company " Michigan motorz" does where I bought it told me today .30 and I said iridium to the guy and 5.7 carb engine . He didnt seem to flinch when i asked my question to him. Did they put the wrong plugs in when they shipped it to me? These are the plugs I pulled out of motor that they put in. I gapped a new set of iridiums to .30 and put them in today...Manual says ac delco 41-932 or 41-993 . Gapped at .30 . I guess I will ask at this point what would be your suggestion for a plug to cross ref with these two above? They are pricey.

ThreeMileBayWaker

Petty Officer 1st Class

I pulled delco's out of my 4.3l carbed block 41-101's and they came out gapped at like .055-060. New 41-101's were gapped just the same out of the boxes, didn't touch the gap and motor runs perfect.

capeshore

Seaman

Interesting "3 mile " seems to be from a lot of further reading that this topic creates some grey area. I as well was running the 101's for 110 hours and performance was great to me. Engine runs / ran well. I took them out and checked the gap and they were at around .30. I'm starting to wonder if the company I purchased from has an accurate knowledge of these plugs etc

Don S

The engines come with them from GM, but GM only builds fuel injected engines, it's Volvo that turns them to carbed engines. And the carbed engines do not require that "Extra" plug. Use them if you want, but do not mess with the gap. Or use the less expensive plug as recommended by Volvo (although not the champion) and the engine will run just the same.

capeshore

Seaman

Fair enough, thanks Don. Any harm in running those 101's gapped at .30 for say 10 hours before I get the new plugs?

Don S

One more time.

DO NOT try to close the gaps on those plugs. It will destroy them. That is why you need the correct plugs.