Have you checked your fire extinguisher?

newcomlr

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Not really Pontoon specific, but the Safety forum isn't very active.

When I bought my new to me Barge last year, I had a lot of things to address. Totally ignored the fire extinguisher. It was one of those cheap types with no gauge on it. It was there, so I was good.

Getting ready to put the toon on the water last week, I pulled the extinguisher to test it.

1. Plastic pin had deteriorated and become brittle. The Ring broke off when I pulled it, so I had to find needle nose pliers to remove the stem.
2. Pulled safety and squeezed trigger. Nothing.
3. Looked in nozzle and found wasps had filled with mud. (previous owner left boat uncovered quite a bit). Chunked out and tried to test again. Nothing.

New extinguisher now on boat. I shudder to think how stupid I would have felt if I had a small fire and tried to use the old extinguisher to put it out. Maybe I could have beat it out with the old extinguisher.

dls322

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Have you checked your fire extinguisher?

Very important thing to check. You were smart to look into it.

Everyone should do a visual check of there extinguisher every year and also hold them upside down and give the bottom of the extinguisher a couple pats. The chemicals inside will eventual start to settle to the bottom.
I usually never trust a second hand extinguisher on a used boat, $35 bucks for a new marine on is money well spent!
Says Firefighter Dave :thumb:

wgl333

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Mounted 2 new ones on my barge last week.

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral

Mine is looked at ever spring.

Boss Hawg

Lieutenant

Keep two on mine- Was safety checked last year & officer noticed the one i held up the nozzel was stopped up with a dirt dobber nest :facepalm:
Was sure glad i had a second--Now that is one more thing on my checklist ;)