Evinrude 200 starting problems

lstewartff

Seaman
ok I hope i can explain this right. I took my boat to a mechanic to fix carbs and change out the water pump. He said he ran the motor with no problems. I took it to the lake to test it and when I tried to start it it acted like the battery was going dead so I charged the battery, and the same thing happened. So I looked some things up and decided to changed the starter solenoid. Tried it out, same thing again. Now I was thinking the battery must be bad so I went and bought a 1000 amp cranking battery. With that many cranking amps i figured I shouldnt have any problems. Got home hooked it up plugged in the charger and waited for all the batteries to finish charging. I tried to crank it in the yard and it acted the same way. The starter starts cranking and then it slows down like the battery is dead in about 2 seconds. Does anyone have any ideas of why it is acting this way? Is there something that is bad that would keep the starter from getting enough voltage?

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Re: Evinrude 200 starting problems

Battery cable connections on both the battery and the mtr, bad battery cables or else a bad starter.

lstewartff

Seaman

Battery cable connections on both the battery and the mtr, bad battery cables or else a bad starter.

I have two starters and changed them the first time. I will change back to my newer starter and see what happens. Is there a way to test the cables before i replace them? All my connections are tight so I dont see that being the problem, i hope.

lstewartff

Seaman

I checked the voltage at the solenoid coming in from the battery and i am getting 13.14 volts. When I try and start it I checked the voltage at the positive terminal on the starter and it shows around 10 volts while it is cranking.

You need to test each part of the starting system while cranking to see if there's an excessive voltage drop anywhere. If there is then you've found the bad component.

With the voltmeter measure voltage between the battery positive terminal and the solenoid positive terminal. When cranking this voltage should be less than 0.3 volts.

Measure voltage across the solenoid while cranking. This voltage reading should be less than 0.2 volts.

Measure the voltage between the starter lead terminal on the solenoid and the positive terminal on the starter. While cranking this voltage should be less than 0.2 volts.

Finally connect the voltmeter between the negative battery post and a ground on the powerhead. While cranking this voltage should be less than 0.3 volts.

lstewartff

Seaman

You need to test each part of the starting system while cranking to see if there's an excessive voltage drop anywhere. If there is then you've found the bad component.

With the voltmeter measure voltage between the battery positive terminal and the solenoid positive terminal. When cranking this voltage should be less than 0.3 volts.

Measure voltage across the solenoid while cranking. This voltage reading should be less than 0.2 volts.

Measure the voltage between the starter lead terminal on the solenoid and the positive terminal on the starter. While cranking this voltage should be less than 0.2 volts.

Finally connect the voltmeter between the negative battery post and a ground on the powerhead. While cranking this voltage should be less than 0.3 volts.

Thanks for the info I will check this tomorrow, and hope i can find something.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Good job Metric on explaining voltage drops. Only thing I could add is to keep the pos lead of the voltmeter on the pos side of the battery and the neg the same at all times when your are going through all the circuits. Again, Good Job.

lstewartff

Seaman

OK this morning i took one of my starters and took it apart (I have two starters for this motor and they are both doing the same thing as desribed above). When I got it apart the windings going to the top (drive end) where the brushes are, I found two wires that were burnt into. I also saw some of the wires under these that were burnt into. I am assuming that the motor is bad since these wires are burnt into and the windings have a burnt smell to them. The wires that are burnt are a bright copper color instead of a darker color like the others. Am I right that this motor is bad or will it still work? The brushes still look ok. Also what could cause the windings to burn into like that? Its hard for me to believe that both starters worked fine and then did this at the same time without something else being wrong, but I could be wrong like I have been many times before. Thanks for any help.

watchman926

Cadet

I think you are looking in the wrong place. You said you took it to a mechanic and when you brought it back it was doing this. That water pump is either the wrong one or he dropped or left something in that lower unit some how. If that was my engine, I would put it in gear and see if you can turn the prop. If you have to take the plugs out. You should be able to turn it a little at a time while not running. It sounds to me like there is something causing that starter to work way too hard. If you had your brakes fixed on your car and it started pulling the next day really bad, you would look at the brake job not the tires or stearing. Check everything that he worked on that has to do with the lower end. As far as your starter being burned up, you would expect that from a jammed up motor. Check to see if you can turn it over by hand and if not the starter would not be able to handle that much work load. Free up what ever is making it not turn over freely and you will have your problem solved. good luck

lstewartff

Seaman

Thanks for the responses. Watchman, I checked the motor in gear and I could turn the prop. I also put it in nuetral and turned the flywheel. I took the starters to a starter shop and the guy told me they were burnt up due to over heating. He said the bendix was staying up while i was running the motor probably from a bad battery or solenoid. The thing is I havent had a chance to run this motor, I guess it could have happened at the mechanic. They are having the starter armature rewound so I hope that will work. I have changed the solenoid and Battery since this happened, so I hope it works right when I get my starter back. I keep a post when I try it again.