gimbal housing paint prep while on transom

georgewar

Cadet
Hi Guys,

What is the best way to get into the little nooks/crannies of the gimbal housing without using a steel brush and a drill??
It is pitted and corroded and I hate to just spray over it. Is a chemical paint remover or acid in order?
I know I need to prime before final coat. I am doing the rams, upper and lower drives. I don't have any blasting tools and not sure that is a good idea while unit is still on the transom. I don't want to take it off.

Thanks for any input.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
Re: gimbal housing paint prep while on transom

Never use a plain steel brush.stainless steel or brass. steel leaves particules in the alum. clean where you can , prime and paint.

Thalasso

Commander

Try using a Dremmel with a brass attachment

Nivekt

Chief Petty Officer

I understand you said you don't have any blasting equipment but an inexpensive blasting gun from Sears and crushed walnut shells (20-40 grit) do a GREAT job. (Don't use the coarse grit, it clogs the gun)

Craftsman Portable Sandblasting Kit - Tools - Air Compressors & Air Tools - Sand Blasters & Accessories

Fine Grade Walnut Shell Blast Media - Harbor Freight Tools

What else is needed for this setup? I cant imagine its only the gun and walnut shells. I have a compressor. How do the walnut shells get fed into the gun?

Dawg'sLife93

Petty Officer 1st Class

What else is needed for this setup? I cant imagine its only the gun and walnut shells. I have a compressor. How do the walnut shells get fed into the gun?

You just stick the hose into the bag of walnuts and it siphons them out, or you can get the 53.00 kit and it comes with a plastic hopper with a strainer.

georgewar

Cadet

THanks guys. Great ideas. How many bags of 25Lb walnut blasting medium will it take to clean one gimbal housing?

georgewar

Cadet

I am now excited about the blasting method and am checking it out. John744 and Cantswim93, do I have to worry about the transom fiberglass in the line of fire? Do I have to cover it with something?

Dawg'sLife93

Petty Officer 1st Class

I am now excited about the blasting method and am checking it out. John744 and Cantswim93, do I have to worry about the transom fiberglass in the line of fire? Do I have to cover it with something?

Just run a few layers of blue 2" painter tape close to the housing as you can get it, then use some cardboard for larger cover areas. Better safe than sorry.