covering the boat in the drive way...

Milemaker13

Petty Officer 2nd Class
What a pain. I wish I could spare the room in the garage, but then I'd be working in the driveway. Hmmm...

What have you guys come up with? This is just a14'deep v aluminum fishing boat.
I was thinking about fabricating a tall bow to attach to the bow (lol) and backcorners.. Kinda like a giant wishbone of sorts. Probably use 1/2 black pipe (at least for the prototype).
One of those stalls that menards parks the shopping carts under would be great... But probably expensive.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral
Re: covering the boat in the drive way...

some boats in some driveways do better uncovered.
anyway, the more that air can circulate, the better, generally.

Be sure to check your zoning and any neighborhood regs about driveway storage, covers and building any structures.

BobGinCO

Chief Petty Officer

I keep the full camper on, in the driveway.

Camper_sm.jpg

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

I stretch a couple (one over the other) of $20 plastic tarps over mine with bungee cords to the trailer frame:

Takes about 6 months for the top one to burn up in the hot Alabama sun, then I just go buy another and put the new one on the bottom.

airshot

Rear Admiral

I live in the country so zoning issues are few. I added a leanto type structure to the side of my garage and parked my boat under that.
It was just tall enough to get the boat under so leaves and rain did not get blown in. My neighbor has one that is attatched to a 6' tall privacy fence, his leanto roof is also just tall enough to get his boat under. He has installed sides and a gate so you really can't see what is inside.

Airshot

pootnic

Chief Petty Officer

Built a frame out of ABS,used acouple tarps to cover.
I bought a boat cover a few weeks ago,still fits over the ABS frame.
I get about a year out of a tarp...not sure on the boat cover yet.
Oct.1 (2).JPGOct.1 (1).JPG

JoLin

Vice Admiral

14'? Here's what I use on my 16' Sylvan...

2" PVC upright in the center of the boat that's about a foot higher than the top of the windshield. I bought a 5 way PVC furniture fitting for the bottom and built 'legs' so it would stand upright in the boat...

PVC Furniture & Plumbing Grade Plastic Pipe Fittings. 3 Ways, 4 Ways, 5 Ways, Crosses, Caps, Plugs, Tees, Pipe and other commonly used pvc fittings for building furniture and construction projects.

I drilled holes through the top of the upright and the top cap, threaded rope through the holes and tied a figure 8 knot at the end of each rope so it wouldn't pull out again. I tie the other end of the ropes to the boat's cleats so the pole will remain upright under a snow load. Tent a tarp over the pole. It withstood an 18" snow fall this past winter.

My .02

jwalterus

Cadet

old heavy vinyl signs (billboard type) work well, and you can usually get them from sign shops pretty cheap, they are heavy enough to just punch holes with a razor knife to stick the straps through
they aren't light though, the one on my Buccaneer weighs about 75 lbs
P21600012.JPG