2001 4.3 GI PEFS Starter issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tail_Gunner

Admiral
This is not good i have...wiring makes me short circut so here we go.

Starter wont even move so i go here..

http://forums.iboats.com/mercruiser...ting-your-engines-starting-system-167035.html

Now guess what 85 give me constant power switch on or off as does 87...86 notta a thing on off or starting....I have put a new 3 pole swith in sea dog...it looks the same as the old one..old mech broke...I have also reversed the two leads on the switch and with that done i can turn the fuel pumps on and off like starting a engine..How can i have power in a ground?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 2001 4.3 GI PEFS Starter issue

First, the Electrical forum is for boating related problems, pumps, lights, electronics etc. You have engine electrical problems and should be engine the engine forum, so I moved it.

I made a different troubleshooting charts for Volvos, might make things a little easier to understand and troubleshoot.

View attachment Troubleshooting a Volvo Starting system.pdf

Just print it out, grab your test light, and head for the boat.

Tail_Gunner

Admiral

When you use the right relay to check things it makes for a far easier day,all check's are good showing continuity all the way to the solenoid...key on light's on...bad starter this is not going to be easy...I was lost all hope at the circuit breaker light's up at both terminal's.

1hr 30 minutes later...bruised hand's...arm's and a gymnastic workout i got the little @#@$$Q.It required multiple extension's and very slow turning or limited. Unless one's a bit hard headed this isnt the job you want. Up side its very small and light should make it easy to reinstall..cant say that for a big block starter.

Tail_Gunner

Admiral

Well the diagnostic's procedure's proved themselves well. It would be a absolute shame to take 3 hours (novice) and change out a starter when it was a simple circut. In this case 14 yrs and the amature or winding's were toast....This will be my first and last marine starter.

Don S

You would have loved the Campion I had to change the starter on. Poor design required pulling the engine. Took 3 hours to get the engine out. (90% of the boats out there takes an hour or less) Putting it back in took 5+ hours. You got off easy.

Tail_Gunner

Admiral

:lol: I really thought i was in the same spot now double that with no straight shot's at the bolt's..I had to use a knuckle joint and extension with literally 1 inch of wrench travel. That took me 15 miutes to figure out..had i not grown up in a shop and know there is a lot of brain damage in some job's..this would would have been done by someone else cost be dammed.

Im sure it would have been 6-800 in a shop so i feel better about that but i have less brain cells and knuckle skin..There is a cost to everything.

Next little sport job..can i rebuild a sea pump i have the supposed bearing replacement.

bobstoy

Cadet
start with the simple things. While i had power to the starter, i had a bad ground connection

GA_Boater

start with the simple things. While i had power to the starter, i had a bad ground connection

Tail-Gunner fixed this more than 5 years ago after looking for help in 2013.

Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.