1984 OMC 3.0 - Compression Test Question

I've read in the stickies and done some searching on compression tests, I know that the ignition needs to be disabled during this.
I plan on warming the engine up, pulling the plugs & taking them out of the wires, then attaching the gauge to each cylinder and cranking it with the key, but how do I ground the coil/distributor wire? I'd like to not goof anything up!

Sorry to request a step by step but I'm not clear on the disabling of the ignition.

Boat is an 84 searay seville.

Thanks in advance!

photo 3.jpgphoto 2.jpg

Bondo

Staff member
Re: 1984 OMC 3.0 - Compression Test Question

I've read in the stickies and done some searching on compression tests, I know that the ignition needs to be disabled during this.
I plan on warming the engine up, pulling the plugs & taking them out of the wires, then attaching the gauge to each cylinder and cranking it with the key, but how do I ground the coil/distributor wire? I'd like to not goof anything up!

Sorry to request a step by step but I'm not clear on the disabling of the ignition.

Boat is an 84 searay seville.

Thanks in advance!

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,... 1 Easy way is to remove the wires from the (+) terminal of the coil....
Or,..
Pull the coil hi-tension lead from the distributor, 'n ground it out on the block...

aerobat

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1984 OMC 3.0 - Compression Test Question

and do not forget to apply full throttle when checking compression