Tree Limb Fell on Boat, What to check?

mbrown2097

Cadet
Hey guys,
I had a fairly large tree limb fall on my boat last night and I think all is good but I wanted to run it by some more people for a second opinion. Limb is about 6" in diameter and about 8 feet long. Maybe 75lbs. Feel from at least 50' and landed on the starboard side of my boat and cover. Looking at the boat, I see a few small scratches, but no cracks in the fiberglass. Impact was substantial enough that a speaker cover on the interior was knocked off.
18 ft Procraft
Fiberglass

What else should I inspect?

Thanks.

Knot Waiting

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Tree Limb Fell on Boat, What to check?

If it's on a roller trailer (or even a bunk to a lesser extent) you may just want to check the hull where it rests on the rollers/bunks. Other than that, what you've already inspected, and obvious damage I can't imagine anything else being hurt.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral
Re: Tree Limb Fell on Boat, What to check?

Agreed. Aluminum will retain dents and FG bounces back. Even if you end up with small cracks in the area of impact, it's not serious. Glad it wasn't worse!

I had a massive oak limb fall right where I usually parked a Corolla; would have mashed it flat. The boat (16' Alum starcraft) was nearby on the trailer and it knocked it crooked on the trailer, dented the gunwale a little, but all OK. Could have been way worse.