Bass boat - planing problems or engine problems?

MAtkins

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi:

I just got my Bass Nautique with a Merc. Black Max 150 XR2 in the water.
Once I got it going it ran well. It's a fast boat.

When I'm first trying to take off though, the stern digs into the water and the bow shoots up.
The motor bogs and it won't take off. I'm not even sure how it finally started to level out and then did take off.

I thought I was having motor problems but some people said it was something to do with planing? the boat?
I recognize it has to do with trim but I don't know how to do it.

The motor has 2 fins on the lower that they guy I bought it from called 'planers'.
He said that if he were me, he'd just take them off because they cause more trouble than good.

How can I get the boat to take off?
Should I take the 'planer' fins off the lower part of the motor?

kaldeh

Cadet
Re: Bass boat - planing problems or engine problems?

Tuck the engine down all the way give it full throtle, as boat starts to come over (noise down) slowly trim engine up until you are on plane.

If the fins are causing you any problem at all it's because you're not using the trim correctly, in fact when you learn how to use the trim they'll help you get on plane quicker. As already mentioned, start with the trim down, then as the boat gets going gradually raise the trim. You'll have to experiment a bit to learn how high you can raise it, the prop will start to aerate (causing a definite change in engine sound) when you've gone too high. Also, some boats tend to porpoise when the trim gets a little too high, if that happens drop it back down a bit. It's just a matter of practice.

As far as the fins, when you're running on plane have someone check their height in relation to the water surface. They should be a little bit above the water, if they're underwater they'll slow you down a bit.

Also, you shouldn't need to go full throttle to get going. Until you get a good feel for your boat you probably want to just ease into the throttle. Probably after just a few times you'll know how much it takes.

rbh

Fleet Admiral

Yup to what the other guys said, but to add, When you first go to take off and the motor boggs out, are you in deep enough water or is the prop digging into the lake bottom? and what size prop are you running?

bonz_d

Vice Admiral

For what it's worth I see many of the big bass boats now turning 4 blade props to help with thier holeshots.

MAtkins

Petty Officer 2nd Class

thanks for all the suggestions.
The prop is definitely in deep enough water.
I don't know the size of the prop. It's stainless & about 10" to12" diameter.
It's 3 props.

This one's only 17' 7" but it's 1,450 lb.

I'll take it out this week end and try what you all suggest.

I don't know the size of the prop. It's stainless & about 10" to12" diameter.

He was referring to the pitch of the prop. On most (but not all) props the diameter and pitch are stamped either on the outside of the prop or else on the hub. 13 1/2 x 23 would be a 13 1/2" diameter with a 23" pitch. (Pitch is the theoretical distance the prop will push your boat through the water with each revolution).

The normal way to determine if your prop is the right pitch for your boat is to do a full speed run and see how many rpm's the engine is turning. Ideally, with a light load, you want to be up near the top end of your engine's maximum rpm range. Don't try this unless you're comfortable with how the boat is handling. If you don't have the boat trimmed properly, if there is some slop in your steering system, if your engine mounts have excessive play, etc. etc. the boat can get real squirrely at high speed.

MAtkins

Petty Officer 2nd Class

It turns out that my trim controls aren't working.
I tried to follow suggestions here but could not get the boat to level out and take off, at all.
It would only trim up so far, like it's got a limit on it. If I push another button it'll trim up farther, clear out of the water.

Eventually, it wouldn't trim back down at all. I used my trolling motor to get back to the boat ramp.
So, now I've gotta learn how to check/fix the trim system.

MAtkins

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I don't see anything on the prop that looks like pitch.
'quicksilver . . . A5 21P'

I don't know what the max. RPM on a 1984 Merc. Black Max 150 XR2 is.
I think the tach works but wasn't really paying attention to it.

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

Your motor bogging is probably dirty carbs, or old fuel filter... or both.

rbh

Fleet Admiral

It turns out that my trim controls aren't working.
I tried to follow suggestions here but could not get the boat to level out and take off, at all.
It would only trim up so far, like it's got a limit on it. If I push another button it'll trim up farther, clear out of the water.

Eventually, it wouldn't trim back down at all. I used my trolling motor to get back to the boat ramp.
So, now I've gotta learn how to check/fix the trim system.

I would think that the other button you hit that lifted the motor up higher was the trailering button, for minimum and max trim there should be a low and high setting (limit switch) so you can not move the motor up to high or low.
I would think that the trim adjust button will allow you to lower the motor with no issues, so if its not working get someone to hold it in the down position and test the cable at the solinoid for power.

MAtkins

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I was trying to identify the solenoids today and I found them.
I moved some wiring around so I could track the wires.
Now, the boat's trim down works. So, it's gotta be the switch or more likely, the wiring.
That should be pretty easy to fix.

Yea, you're right rbh, The other button was clearly to be able to get the motor clear up out of the water for trailering.
I think the limit on the up trim up is set too low.
Based on what you guys said here, I couldn't seem to get it to trim up far enough to help the boat level out.
I never did get the boat to level off and ->> go ->>.

I'm not sure but I *think* the trim down limit is too far.
It *looks* like the motor tucks up under the boat a bit.

Is there a way to change the limits? Or should I even try that?

MAtkins

Petty Officer 2nd Class

jigngrub: it doesn't idle reliably, I can say that.
It'd rather cut off than idle.
I have to throttle up a bit to get it to start.
In fact, I have to pull the throttle all the way back to get it to go into gear.
When I do, more likely than not (even warm) the motor will cut off instead of going into gear and moving.

The plugs were replaced and I *think* the fuel filter was.
The guy I bought it from did mention that I should probably clean the carbs.

Also, I'm running a bit oil rich right now. I'm guessing that is affecting its inclination to stall.

Bondo

Staff member

I was trying to identify the solenoids today and I found them.
I moved some wiring around so I could track the wires.
Now, the boat's trim down works. So, it's gotta be the switch or more likely, the wiring.
That should be pretty easy to fix.

Yea, you're right rbh, The other button was clearly to be able to get the motor clear up out of the water for trailering.
I think the limit on the up trim up is set too low.
Based on what you guys said here, I couldn't seem to get it to trim up far enough to help the boat level out.
I never did get the boat to level off and ->> go ->>.

I'm not sure but I *think* the trim down limit is too far.
It *looks* like the motor tucks up under the boat a bit.

Is there a way to change the limits? Or should I even try that?

Ayuh,... Ya got it Backwards,...

Trim "In"/ "Down" to launch, hammer down,...
As the bow begins to lay over, 'n flatten out, then trim "Up"/ "Out" to level the hull, on plane...

jigngrub: it doesn't idle reliably, I can say that.
It'd rather cut off than idle.
I have to throttle up a bit to get it to start.
In fact, I have to pull the throttle all the way back to get it to go into gear.
When I do, more likely than not (even warm) the motor will cut off instead of going into gear and moving.

The plugs were replaced and I *think* the fuel filter was.
The guy I bought it from did mention that I should probably clean the carbs.

Also, I'm running a bit oil rich right now. I'm guessing that is affecting its inclination to stall.

Until ya rebuild the carbs, it Ain't gonna run Right...

The motor is in serious need of a Tune Up,...
Runnin' with plugged up carbs causes a lean condition, which leads to detonation, which causes Big Holes in the tops of pistons, 'n scored cylinders...

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

You should probably post your running and trim problems over in the Mercury & Mariner Outboards forum, you will get more specific troubleshooting information on your motor.