Ant-siphon valve Broke, brass elbow removal

horndog

Petty Officer 1st Class
I found the source of the my WOT issues, anti-siphon valve had a crack in it.

When I went to remove the hose off of it, it broke off!
Spring and ball rolled out!
Looks like an aluminum anti-siphon valve in a brass fitting, looks like some plumbers' tape wrapped on it with some fuel corrosion.

Now how do I replace it??

The issue is that the tank is plastic

The access to the valve, and sending unit is via portal.
The portal access is nice, but does not leave enough room for leverage.

The brass fitting seems to seized or won't break free.

I have tried a cresent wrench it won't break free.
Would a socket work? I am worried the brass female end in the tank would spin?

Where can I find a replacement brass fitting? would one of the big-box home improvement stores carry it?

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral
Re: Ant-siphon valve Broke, brass elbow removal

I had no trouble finding an anti-syphon fitting at a marine supply store. I also got one that wasn't anti-syphon for trouble shooting.

Mine was a pain to unscrew and I had to lift my deck out since the access hole wasn't lined up enough. PB blaster and a big wrench.

You could always bypass the old one and install a new tube and valve. The seal at the tank top does not have to be air tight for operation, just the tube connection on through the anti-syphon and on to the hose (but you do want it sealed enough to keep water out and vapor in).

If you don't have a marine store, look around the fittings for compressors. Get a plain fitting for temporary and order an anti-syphon, then replace, and carry the plain one for at-sea repairs if the AS malfunctions. They aren't crucial for operations.

don't use plumber's tape (teflon) as gas melts it. Use blue pipe dope

horndog

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks! I am going to get a socket to see if it will budge along with PB blaster, I think I have some around the house... I tried liquid wrench and that didn't work.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

put a wrench on the tank fitting to hold it steady. Now use another wrench on the A-S fitting. Pipe wrenches are the backup plan.