1985 9.9 evinrude pumps water at low idle ut not at high rpms

catfish9960

Recruit
85 evinrude that was running fine, then one day stop pumping water going up the lake..( notice it and shut down before it got hot)...so put a water pump in it and now pumps water at idle and and pees good, but once you give it gas, then it stops peeing and then starts heating up...water will kinda spit out the exhaust port...have not let it got hott..i have shut it down once it does this...if you idle it bacl down then it will start peeing again

jlh42581

Cadet
Re: 1985 9.9 evinrude pumps water at low idle ut not at high rpms

whens the last time it had an impeller rebuild?

OptsyEagle

Lieutenant

Perhaps the impeller is separating from the center. At lower RPMs it sticks to the core and turns and moves some water but at higher RPMs it spins freely and moves nothing, kind of like a spun hub on a propeller. Other then that if it pumps water at lower RPMs it should pump a lot more at higher RPMs. I would drop the LU and take a look and since an impeller is only about $15 I would put a new one in anyways. Look for any noticeable leaks around the pump area and the grommet in the pump.

Those are my thoughts, anyways.

nwcove

Admiral

if all checks out well with the impeller, i would suspect the headgasket.

tomhath

Master Chief Petty Officer

Could also be a blockage in the water tube that seals off at higher pressure. I've seen intermittent water flow problems like that.

catfish9960

Recruit

Missed that part, lol

got a impleller ordered, going to try that and also went on and ordered a head gasket...how it is the impleller...started it yesterday with muffs on and idled it up about 1/2 throttle and it would come and go on peeing...???

the machinist

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Have you checked the tell-tail (pee hole) for debris up inside it. Poke a wire or something up inside while it is running to try to dislodge any debris. Sounds like there may be some debris inside that tube that on a higher RPM may be forced to plug the outlet, but at a lower speed, it is not pushed as tight, allowing water to exit.

catfish9960

Recruit

ok, went on and took the lower unit off today....to check the impeller....found the exhaust port was cover in a mlky subance ...like on cars..oil and water mixing....so s that still leaning toward a head gasket....???