Force thermostat question

Jtom7

Seaman Apprentice
I have a 85hp force outboard I bought to replace my blown up 85hp. This motor has no thermostat in it. My question is: is a thermostat really necessary? I mean what does it really do cuz without it water just cycles thru all the time so is there any advantage to having one? The motor I bought is missing the thermostat, should I put the one from the blown motor in it or just leave it empty? Seems like motor ran ok without thermostat. Thanks for all replies. It's been quite a project swapping these power heads, more so cuz one I bought had to be honed and a piston replaced. Ugh. Outboards suck. :-(

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Re: Force thermostat question

Profile? Location? Yes you need a thermostat. And why would you put a part from a DEFECTIVE motor in a good unit???
The motor is designed to run best at a certain temp. Too cold it can gunk up and cost you a piston. The thermo is only 18$

Jtom7

Seaman Apprentice

Not sure what details u are asking for in regards to profile but location is Massachusetts.
As far as using part from defective motor, well the blown motor threw a piston rod out the side of the motor but the thermostat should still be fine and the plate actually comes off the head and can be swapped onto the motor I purchased so why not use it? I plan to use it and the thermoswitch because I know they both are functional whereas the motor I bought is missing the thermostat and thermoswitch and looks old and possible non functional. Parts aren't that expensive but I've been putting a lot of money into this project and if I have one that works why not utilize it? U answered my question about the thermostat and that it will help it run better so I will install one. Thank you for reply. Do u still feel I should spend more money on a thermostat when I already have one??

pnwboat

Rear Admiral

You can test it by putting it in a pan of hot water and measure temperature with a thermometer. It should start opening at about 130? - 143?.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

Yes.That's just me. If you feel comfortable with using that old part go ahead.
Myself, I would wonder why there wasn't a thermo in the new motor.
I don't like using old parts if I can replace it cheap.
Like food asked, you sure it works?
What caused the rod failure? No oil,too hot????
Running too hard?
Profile,location= salt water or fresh. and you might be cloe to someone who can help??
On the end of the thermo should be a number stamped in it.
130 or something like that.

Jtom7

Seaman Apprentice

Yes thermostat works fine. I followed my manual and tested in pan of hot water. Tested thermoswitch while I was at it too and all is good. Sadly the rod failure I have no difinitve answer for it but Last year my father rebuilt the motor and it ran for a month then boom rod busted at bearing cage and cap then pushed itself thru the side of the motor. The machine shop that honed new power head said he thought maybe dad had put connecting cap on backwards. If they are not mated together the right way it can cause play in there and it all falls apart and then the rod separates and busts out side of motor. Weird that it ran as long as it did but really when I say a month I only actually used it maybe a few hours run time. This time I am doing all the work myself on this new used power head, that way I know how things go together. If this one breaks down then I'll probably get out of the boating world unless I find the money to buy something newer. Seems like these force motors tend to have lots if issues, perhaps lots of older outboards too? Oh only freshwater never salt btw. I am very thankful for this forum and everyone's help. Good luck to all and here's to a summer full of great boating and no break downs for anyone!!

kfouryou

Petty Officer 2nd Class

What did it cost to get it honed and bored if you don't mind me asking?

Jtom7

Seaman Apprentice

Jerry got a better deal than me. I paid $75 to have 3 cylinders honed and have 3 pistons cleaned and buffed like new. Actually one cylinder he honed a little more than the others cuz we ended up using a piston from the broken motor I have which is also an 85hp but the pistons are slightly different in size I guess. The motors are one year apart and never would have thought pistons would be different but they do call for 2 different part numbers on the parts list. This guy helped me get flywheel off by drilling and tapping to 5/16 too so I gladly paid the 75 and even gave him an extra 20 for doing it all rather quickly. $60 sounds much better to me though but I'm new at this and didn't know any better on pricing.