Titling Problems

Ryan0186

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have kind of a weird question but I figured maybe someone else has had to deal with this issue before and could shed some light on the matter. My Uncle purchased a small boat about five years ago and never bothered to register the title in his name. The reason it was not register was because the boat was to be a project. Boat was fixed up and sat in the back yard for about 4 years. I found a deal on a used outboard and asked my uncle if it was alright for me to clean up the hull, throw my outboard on it and use it. He agreed but could not find the title. After almost a weeks worth of searching he found it. When I saw the title I noticed that there was a signature in both the buyer and seller lines. I talked to my uncle about it and he said that he had bought the boat from a guy who had also bought it as a project and gave up on it. The man my uncle purchased the boat from had also not registered it in his name but the original owner of the boat listed on the title had signed it. The man who had the boat as a project had also signed under the purchaser line. I am just wondering what the best course of action is for me to get the boat register in our names. Has anyone else dealt with an issue like this before? Purchaser line has been signed by someone other than my uncle or I. Sorry if this sounds really confusing and thanks for the advice guys.

Opnine99

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Titling Problems

I would suggest calling or going down to your local DMV and asking what procedure to take and if that dead ends I suppose you could try and find the original owner and talk them into filing for a lost title. Not sure how things work in SC but around here thats a pretty sticky situation.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral
Re: Titling Problems

I got through a similar situation when my seller had the title from his seller and hadn't registered it. But luckily he knew the guy even though he bought it 5 years before; he called him and that guy authorized us to sign his name for him--that was enough to get by with "DMV".
Because your uncle's seller signed in the wrong place, your uncle could sign on top as purchaser, then go to DMV and have the title issued in his name, then yours--unless your state has room for multiple assignments on one title. It will be a PITA.