what could be leaking aroung the shift shaft on 85 3.0 mercruiser

updog

Recruit
very new and sorry if i can't find where this was already covered but it's still dripping slowly after 5 days since discovery and time to look at it.. seems to be coming from above it somewhere
boajhf.JPGCapturefgwg.JPG

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
Re: what could be leaking aroung the shift shaft on 85 3.0 mercruiser

You will have to remove the drive to verify this but it looks like the carrier seal is leaking gear oil into the bellows.
Or the shift shaft bushing is leaking gear oil upwards.Looks like a alpha so you`ll need manual 6

updog

Recruit

thanks for the reply...
how would it be leaking upwards when its trimmed down when parked? also are they expensive fixes?
cause I'm not gonna work on it.... too scared lol
also does anyone have an idea on what to do with the gas spewing out the breather vent?? i followed the hose to the tank and see no low loops or whatever

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

kidding about the oil going upward, had a long day.

thanks for the reply...
how would it be leaking upwards when its trimmed down when parked? also are they expensive fixes?
cause I'm not gonna work on it.... too scared lol
also does anyone have an idea on what to do with the gas spewing out the breather vent?? i followed the hose to the tank and see no low loops or whatever

The loop is to help keep water out of the tank from waves /side spray. You want to try and have the hose run up from the vent high as possible before running down to the tank. Any amount is better than none. There is a vent whistle you can install inline on the vent hose to let you know when the tank is getting full and is full. The pitch will change and then stop when gas hits it.... I have one and works pretty good:

Fuel Whistle - Green Marine Products
fuel tank vent whistle.gif

dubs283

Vice Admiral

are they expensive fixes?
cause I'm not gonna work on it.

any reputable shop will pressure test the complete drive, locate the exact source of the leak and most likely sell you a complete reseal of either the upper or lower depending on where the leaking seal is located

if the history of the drive is unknown a complete water pump replacement is in order too

as far as price, depends on the shop's labor rate and estimate - figure 4-8 hours labor plus parts depending on how far they go