97 johnson 225 venom slips out of gear

Bendeguz

Cadet
Hello all

I have a 97 225 venom motor that is slipping out of gear when trying to plain, at low rpms the motor is still engaged in the forward position and it does go When i step on the pedal to gain more speed to plain out it seems like that it drops out of gear and bogs down. Once it's in neutral the motor seems fine revs up good. One i put it back in to forward gear it goes ok until i step on the pedal then it just drops.

I am just asking maybe someone already had this problem and has an idea on what could be the problem..

Any feedback would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Lester

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Re: 97 johnson 225 venom slips out of gear

The prop hub may be slipping.

Bendeguz

Cadet

Hey Thanks for the reply.

I will check the prop hub but i do not think that this is the problem but it could be. What am i looking for when i take it apart?

I am mechanically inclined, used to work on cars but never got into boat motors other than a tuneup or prop changes.

As i said the motor runs good in neutral revs fine and sounds good also runs in the forward position at low rpms. I am thinking of the cable setting too, do you think that would have anything to do with it?

Thanks again

Cheers

Lester

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Scribe a line on the prop and then the prop shaft itself in alignment. Then run it. If the marks get out of alignment after running you know the hub is slipping.

Bendeguz

Cadet

Ok so this is what i found out i started the boat up and it seems like that the right 3 cylinders are not working.
The left 3 are ok. I moved the ignition coil from the right to the left and it was working no problem. I am also noticing some un burnt oil coming out of the exhaust which tells me that i am only running on 3 cylinders.

So i am thinking maybe the stator or the powerpack that is not working properly.

Would this cause the boat to bog down when it tries to plane out?

Cheers

Les

Bendeguz

Cadet

I got it figured out it was a sticky shift assist switch that was causing the 3 right cyls to not work. once the switch was disconnected all 6 cyls were running like a charm. I tried all the coils just to see they all work. And they did. The new switch is on the way from florida.

Cheers

Lester