1983 evinrude 35hp help!!!

bob.mag

Cadet
I HAVE JUST RECEIVED A 1983 EVINRUDE 35HP E35ELCTS AND I HAVE SOME WIRING PROBLEMS :facepalm:. I HAVE NOTICED SOME WIRES ARE NOT CONNECTED TO ANYTHING AT ALL JUST ENDS STRIPPED AND DANGLING. SOME ARE SPLICED TOGETHER BUT WITH NO CONNECTORS JUST STRIPPED AND TWISTED TOGETHER WITH NO TAPE AROUND THEM. I NEED A WIRING DIAGRAM FOR THIS MOTOR TO REPAIR THESE WIRES AND GET THIS MOTOR RUNNING AND MAKE SURE THE WIRES ARE RIGHT. WAS WONDERING IF SOMEONE HAD A MANUAL DOWNLOAD OR A WIRING DIAGRAM OR SOMETHING. ALSO WAS WONDERING WHAT THE HECK IS THIS ROUND THREE PRONG HARNESS GO TO??? AND WHAT DOES THE ROUND 4 PRONG FEMALE HARNESS GO TO??? OR WHAT ARE THEY FOR??? ANY HELP WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED. I HAVE SEARCHED THE FORUMS AND GOT NO ANSWERS THAT'S WHY I POSTED A NEW THREAD.

bob.mag

Cadet
Re: 1983 evinrude 35hp help!!!

Does any one have a wiring diagram? Please reply if you do...

bonzoscott

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Probably have to purchase an OEM service manual to get a diagram. I do not think there is anything available to download online. Maybe if you posted clear pics of what you have, some here could help. When you speak of harness and prongs, are you talking about plugs - male/female? There should be two sets of wires coming from under the Flywheel/mag plate. Each of those sets have plugs. I think one plugs to power pack and other plugs terminal block (to rectifier). Maybe someone else can verify. Good luck!

bob.mag

Cadet

well actually one plug (male) three prong plug has two orange wires going to each coil pack the other plug (female) four prong plug comes from under the fly wheel, there isnt anywhere on the motor that i can see were these plug in to.

I Also need a wiring diagram to fix some other misc. wires. I seen on a different thread that someone got the wire diagram for this motor pm messaged to them and am just asking that someone pm me the wire diagram please.

Here are pictures of the plugs.

IMG_20130523_092517.jpgIMG_20130523_092418.jpgIMG_20130523_092435.jpgIMG_20130523_092603.jpg

bob.mag

Cadet

well actually one plug (male) three prong plug has two orange wires going to each coil pack the other plug (female) four prong plug comes from under the fly wheel, there isnt anywhere on the motor that i can see were these plug in to.

I Also need a wiring diagram to fix some other misc. wires. I seen on a different thread that someone got the wire diagram for this motor pm messaged to them and am just asking that someone pm me the wire diagram please.

Here are pictures of the plugs.

View attachment 195130

View attachment 195131

View attachment 195132

View attachment 195133

bonz_d

Vice Admiral

Is there a CDI box and a terminal strip still on that engine or are they missing? Should both be on the side with the throttle linkage.

Don Hansen

Petty Officer 1st Class

Is there a CDI box and a terminal strip still on that engine or are they missing? Should both be on the side with the throttle linkage.

I agree. To lazy to go out to the garage, so I looked in the manual for my 1980 35 hp. Looking at your second set of pictures, picture 4 should show your CDI (power pack) box mounted to the side of the block just below the 4 wire plug. In short,your power pack is missing.

DLH

bonz_d

Vice Admiral

I'm guessing the rectifier is missing also!

bob.mag

Cadet

my power pack is missing! thats what them to plugs go to the three wire plug and the four wire coming from under the flywheel should plug into the power pack im guessing. i wouldve found this out sooner if i had a diagram

bob.mag

Cadet

found that diagram in leroys ramblings, my cdi box (power pack) is missing, my rectifier and terminal block are still there intact so im goin to pick up a power pack today $96.96 at the local marine parts store!!!!!! But i need it motor is worthless to me without it so. Thanks for all your help! And thanks for the hint to check leroys ramblings!!

bonzoscott

Senior Chief Petty Officer

You may find one cheaper here at Iboats or risk one from Ebay.

bonz_d

Vice Admiral

Looks like you got sort of lucky and that the rectifier and terminal block are still there. Also look in that wire harness and diagram for an in-line fuse. Check to see that it's still there and not blown.

If this engine is new to you, you may also want to pull the lower unit and check that water pump while it's still down. Check the impellar for cracking and the top and bottom plates of the housing for wear or deep grooves. If anything looks iffy I'd replace it.

Post back after you get that power pak and let us know how it goes. Good luck to ya!

jasper60103

Commander

found that diagram in leroys ramblings, my cdi box (power pack) is missing, my rectifier and terminal block are still there intact so im goin to pick up a power pack today $96.96 at the local marine parts store!!!!!! But i need it motor is worthless to me without it so. Thanks for all your help! And thanks for the hint to check leroys ramblings!!

boats dot net is a good source for OEM parts if you're not in a hurry.
$67.87 (P/N 0582453 POWER PACK ASSY).
Even when you add shipping, its cheaper than most from my experience.
Anyway, hopefully it all works out.

bob.mag

Cadet

Got my power pack, my shorting switch on my controls was bad so i put in a toggle switch to fix that, new power pack new plugs and carb kit the thing runs like new! my water pump is good and strong working great! got myself a nice ol 35hp evinrude now! Thanks for all your help guys i appreciate it!

bonz_d

Vice Admiral

That's great to hear a success story. Those are terrific lil engines and am going to miss mine. Just sold it to the lil brother.

What ya going to put it on?

classiccat

"Captain" + Starmada Splash Of The Year 2020

Awesome! I was going to snap a few pics of mine (exact same year/model) to help you along but you got it sorted!

Bulletproof motor that will treat you well!

bob.mag

Cadet

That's great to hear a success story. Those are terrific lil engines and am going to miss mine. Just sold it to the lil brother.

What ya going to put it on?

Thanks again! Its going on a older crestliner 15ft aluminim boat. Its raining really bad today so dint get her out on the lake yet but hopefully tommorow. Its a nice old boat. Me and the old man are gonna throw a new floor in her tommorow. Be a nice boat then.